carputer people and AM/FM

Amoeba

:
Black 02 P5
So I'm kicking around the methods/ways I'll be installing my carputer. I'm most likely going with Captain's 7" in-dash screen with the custom dash trim piece (I suck ass with a dremel. Not gonna do any cutting if I can help it). http://www.mazda3online.com/product_info.php?products_id=64&osCsid=11543026d53aba1dc02259d6e49fc079

Now, the question is, how the **** do I still get radio reception? Depending on which way I go (mac mini, mini ITX box, whatever) I know I can pop in an AM/FM tuner card but the auto antenna connector and the tuner card connector aren't compatible... which means I'd have to cut and recrimp the correct connector onto the antenna lead and I'd rather not. And no, going without isn't an option... I like getting my NPR fix. I doubt tuner cards internal antenna's are all that great.

You carputer ppl out there, you're not still running a HU right? So what are the solutions you've come up with to still get FM/AM reception along with all the other carputer goodies?

if you dont use a headunit then you need a 4channel amp to get sound, alot of people are still using headunits, its easyer when you want satilite radio too

Aricjm15 said:
if you dont use a headunit then you need a 4channel amp to get sound, alot of people are still using headunits, its easyer when you want satilite radio too

I already considered that and have the amp situation covered. I rarely listen to the radio (NPR aside) and prefer the mp3/aac/ogg stuff I've collected over the years. The woman is just the opposite. So, I'd like to retain FM/AM capability without having to run a HU as well. ***UNLESS someone can point me to a LCD touchscreen HU that plays well with carputers (integrated controls etc).

Dexter said:
The AM/FM tuner cards suck, even with an external antenna. The dudes on MP3car.com are working on this:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40612

For satellite, you can use the older XM PCR, or there is a cable hack for the XM Direct boxes also.

I thought that might still be the case (re: suckage) but hoped otherwise. It's not like radio is a new technology fer crissakes. I know pc's put out a lot of RF interference but yeesh.

Hrm.. maybe I should troll around google and see if there are external radio units for pc's.

There is the new Griffin Radioshark, but I haven't seen anyone post results on it in a car yet and it's kind of big. I'm waiting on the MP3car radio module, it's going to be about $100 or so and hopefully should be done in the next 2 months or so.

Back