Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people like Waze when it only gives the option of tracking your every movement 24/7? It does not give the option to use location services only while using the app, like Google Maps and other apps do. I downloaded it last night but when I saw that, I removed it right away.
I think it's because I'm order for Waze to be effective, it also needs live traffic update. No issues on my mobile phone. I think google maps also has traffic updates but is not seen on the screen, though it diverts you to a different road if there's a traffic built-up.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

How do people like Waze when it only gives the option of tracking your every movement 24/7? It does not give the option to use location services only while using the app, like Google Maps and other apps do. I downloaded it last night but when I saw that, I removed it right away.

Umm what are you talking about? It does not track 24/7. GPS icon only lights up when in the app. I have the app installed and it does not do what you say. Stop spreading incorrect info.

Umm what are you talking about? It does not track 24/7. GPS icon only lights up when in the app. I have the app installed and it does not do what you say. Stop spreading incorrect info.

It's not incorrect. The only option is to allow the app to use location services "always" which means it can track location while the app is in the background. So if you don't remember to kill the app after using it (double-tap home button in iOS), it can still track your location even if you're not actively using the app.

It's not incorrect. The only option is to allow the app to use location services "always" which means it can track location while the app is in the background. So if you don't remember to kill the app after using it (double-tap home button in iOS), it can still track your location even if you're not actively using the app.

Well maybe iOS. But I can say 100% that is not the case on Android. For those Android users, you can use Waze just fine without being tracked 24/7. I don't know how iOS does location services but I can see it being done a bad way.

Well maybe iOS. But I can say 100% that is not the case on Android. For those Android users, you can use Waze just fine without being tracked 24/7. I don't know how iOS does location services but I can see it being done a bad way.

Do you have a setting to allow Waze to use location services only while using the app, on Android? I'm not familiar with how Android does location settings at all.

I've noticed other bad iOS features recently, like how iOS Podcasts interferes with voice navigation directions. I was going to try it with Waze but then decided not to with the location services lack of options.

Do you have a setting to allow Waze to use location services only while using the app, on Android? I'm not familiar with how Android does location settings at all.

No, but it only pulls location when in the app. It doesn't use location when not being used. I mean the app CAN run in the background, but when you hit the back button it gives you an option to shut down the app. Once you do that, you're golden. But I mean that's the same with Google Maps. It only pulls location when in the app and running it. Same way as Waze, it CAN run in the background but as long as you close out of it, it won't pull location ever until you open the apps again.

I use "Find my iPhone" app so gps is always active. Can't tell what Waze does when off/background.

Here's location services setting page FWIW.

df7b7d0e5b6bb641661c29ebd9ee41be.png

When I'm done using Waze, I put it in Sleep Mode so it stops tracking my location until I fire up the App again.

1. Tap the Magnifying Glass in the lower left.
2. Tap the power icon in the upper right.

Waze will be in sleep mode until you relaunch the app.

Interesting, maybe I'll give it another shot. Do Podcasts and Waze nav directions play nice? With Google Maps and iOS Podcasts, there's a severe lag between pausing the podcast and the spoken directions becoming audible through the Mazda sound system, such that the entire spoken prompt is lost completely, or I only catch the last word or part of the word.

Before iOS 10, the Podcast volume would just lower, but now it completely pauses it, which normally is fine but that lag before the voice becomes audible renders Google Maps almost unusable for navigation.

Interesting, maybe I'll give it another shot. Do Podcasts and Waze nav directions play nice? With Google Maps and iOS Podcasts, there's a severe lag between pausing the podcast and the spoken directions becoming audible through the Mazda sound system, such that the entire spoken prompt is lost completely, or I only catch the last word or part of the word.

Before iOS 10, the Podcast volume would just lower, but now it completely pauses it, which normally is fine but that lag before the voice becomes audible renders Google Maps almost unusable for navigation.

That I have no idea about.

Though when playing music from the Music App, Waze prompts come through loud and clear. They don't get cutoff by the music, the music fades and (I think) pauses as the prompt is given, then it continues.

That I have no idea about.

Though when playing music from the Music App, Waze prompts come through loud and clear. They don't get cutoff by the music, the music fades and (I think) pauses as the prompt is given, then it continues.

Yeah the iOS Music app works fine with Google Maps also. It's just the iOS Podcast app that seems to mess up with Google Maps (or Apple Maps), and that's what I listen to 99% of the time - music podcasts of weekly radio shows.

As of yesterday, Still getting fairly boilerplate responses to when Android Auto is coming....

"Im so glad that you asked about Android Auto and would be happy to clarify.

I was able to research your question and confirmed that our product planners and engineers are exploring the viability of supporting such software, however exact model years and release timing has not been determined."

Been told android auto and CarPlay delay is duo to safety reason. Currently when you are driving, it disables the touch touch screen with the stock software (mazda connect) , where Mazda may not be able to disable the touch screen with either software when car is in motion

Been told android auto and CarPlay delay is duo to safety reason. Currently when you are driving, it disables the touch touch screen with the stock software (mazda connect) , where Mazda may not be able to disable the touch screen with either software when car is in motion

Sound like something a dealer would tell someone. Dealers are basically the last to know anything to take that with a grain of salt. Unfortunately the situation is worse... no one at Mazda seems to know why it's delayed (or more likely, one or two developers are milking this for all it's worth and aren't communicating up the chain hahaha). Even one of their "PR guys" can't give any details about it, which is very concerning. :(

Yea, I don't buy that for a second, CXChicago. First off, Mazda certainly can enable touch while driving. Problem solved. Second, if the delay is trying to get AA to work with the knob, a phone call to Google could probably get that working in a minute. You can use a mouse with Android, a knob shouldn't be much of a stretch. IF it's coming, they probably aren't going to release mid cycle. It will be a feature added for 18 at best. Oh, and 3rd: AA is designed to be 100% voice capable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bought a 3 Sport on the weekend. Dealer mentioned they've been hearing/hoping for AA/ACP updates this fall/winter.

Clearly nothing official or any sort of guarantee, so take it for what it's worth.

I've noticed one of my favorite car reviewers Alex on Autos has said (very convincingly) in a recent review, that AA/CP will be coming to the 2017 CX-5.

I'm wondering if there has been an update from Mazda about this? Any official announcement? Wheres the dude get this info from? Anybody?

Mazda hasn't said anything official. Until they do, anything anyone that says anything definitive - including reviewers or dealership people - is just blowing hot air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back