Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only $100 on eBay, Dougal. You missed that post. It's a bargain, if you ask me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And, despite it lacking Live traffic (omg, shoot me now) it's a pretty good navigation system.

If you're doing any sort of driving outside of territory you know of, and assuming you have a smart phone, using the OEM nav is just pointless. Why use a system that has terrible ETA, no traffic, outdated maps, etc when you can use your phone which has all those built in and more. The other reason the OEM nav sucks so much is because it takes forever just to input an address. And once you're driving, forget it! The only thing I love about the Nav is the continuous speed limit display. Actually very helpful. But that's just the maps, and not really the navigation. This NAV system was a good system for back in 2010. For 2017, it is a joke.

Well if anyone ever wanted to know why Mazda has not released CarPlay/AA, now you know. Apparently they want to nickel and dime their customers with an inferior navigation system instead of giving them one that's not only free but far superior. Wasn't even aware they charged $400 for navigation.

And 7eregrine, the OEM rims are nice enough and best part of all is they were made specifically for my car. I had no intention of getting aftermarket wheels and dealing with a non-functioning TPMS, uneven tire wear and anything else that comes with aftermarket wheels. Had a bunch of these problems on my Mazda3 with aftermaket wheels, don't want to see them again.

Last edited:
Well if anyone ever wanted to know why Mazda has not released CarPlay/AA, now you know. Apparently they want to nickel and dime their customers with an inferior navigation system instead of giving them one that's not only free but far superior. Wasn't even aware they charged $400 for navigation.

That's not why it's not released. Mazda has even included the navigation with more models than previously. They wouldn't do that if they were just trying to get people to upgrade to it. Plus, they offer 3 year maps updates. Which many companies charge right away for that. So no, that's not why.

Spend $100 for something that literally cost Mazda 25 cents to make? Seems like a rip-off to me. Plus it doesn't come with live traffic either. Don't give them your money and use a phone mount instead.

I'm pretty sure the developing a navigation system for your custom infotainment system costs more than 25 cents to make.

Yeah I'm sure that's the reason, and not because it requires R&D and developers to get it all to work. I'm 100% certain that Mazda isn't banking on becoming #1 by upselling a $300 nav unit, vs just incorporating a feature that a lot of buyers want. Then again I could be wrong, people like Mango work everywhere. #nologic

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sure that's the reason, and not because it requires R&D and developers to get it all to work. I'm 100% certain that Mazda isn't banking on becoming #1 by upselling a $300 nav unit, vs just incorporating a feature that a lot of buyers want. Then again I could be wrong, people like Mango work everywhere. #nologic

R&D and developers? If a Swedish trucking company can get it to work in their vehicles, there is no excuse for Mazda not to. They'e also been a 'Apple partner' for what, 3 years now? Has nothing to do with developers/R&D. They could just ditch their OEM Nav, add CarPlay/AA instead and give their customers something that is free to them and far superior but noooo, there's no money to be made in that situation. Instead lets design a NAV system no one likes(according to many posters here) and charge our customers for it.

Last edited:
R&D and developers? If a Swedish trucking company can get it to work in their vehicles, there is no excuse for Mazda not to. They'e also been a 'Apple partner' for what, 3 years now? Has nothing to do with developers/R&D. They could just ditch their OEM Nav, add CarPlay/AA instead and give their customers something that is free to them and far superior but noooo, there's no money to be made in that situation. Instead lets design a NAV system no one likes(according to many posters here) and charge our customers for it.

Honda charges $1000 for their Nav system. Back to my point, if someone hands you AA and CP, unless you know how to code you're going to need to hire developers to make it all work. It's not like you simply download an app from the play store and it magically works. Mazda pays developers to work all of the bugs out of Mazda Connect. In order to incorporate AA and CP into their systems they need to pay developers and engineers to make sure everything plays nicely together. It's not like Google or Apple send in their people to do the dirty work. Who knows, maybe Mazda is working on it, and they haven't released it because it's buggy.

In the meantime i'm okay with waiting. Half the time Waze is wrong about traffic or makes me try to cross major cross streets without a traffic light. Like how the hell am I supposed to cross La Cienega with just a 2-way stop? Sigh. Sometimes less is more I guess. As long as I can listen to Spotify then i'm okay with the current setup.

Mango, I see you're from LA. Where about? I see black CRV's around and wonder if it's you. :p

Can anyone say...broken record?

(deadhorse

Live traffic useless? I've been saved many times when Google Maps has routed me off a highway onto an alternate road, only to drive parallel to the highway that ends up being stopped due to an accident. Why not use intelligent routing that factors in current traffic? It's just plain stupid to say it's a useless feature IMO.

I didn't say it was useless. Are you talking to me?
But not everyone needs it. I do remember Google alerting me once "heavy traffic ahead" click the notification...yea, too late Google. Already bumper to bumper and past an exit. This from a guy that's used Google Maps since 2008.
Friend at work didn't even know her Highlander had LT. Showed her. She said "I'll never use that". Seriously. Kind of funny. You don't use it...it's just always there. The red lines. She's clueless. A lot of people are.
We're all different. We all live in different cities. I have no doubt LT is huge for people in Chicago or LA. In Cleveland? Not so much. Our rush hour is 45 minutes. In the Winter I have a pretty great app ODOT put out that tells me everything I need to know about traffic, complete with live traffic cams. It's so sweet. No...it's not useless...and my old man rant was meant to be funny.
Waze has ****** me more then any GPS. Don't use it at all anymore.
I do hope they bring AA. I have no doubt I'd use it occasionally. But I certainly don't want car companies to just start using dumb terminals and AA or ACP only.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Live traffic useless? I've been saved many times when Google Maps has routed me off a highway onto an alternate road, only to drive parallel to the highway that ends up being stopped due to an accident. Why not use intelligent routing that factors in current traffic? It's just plain stupid to say it's a useless feature IMO.

No kidding, Iv'e been saved plenty of times by CarPlays re-routing. A NAV system without live traffic capabilities is useless IMO.

You know how many times Google has routed me through the most stupidest routes possible? Way too many times.

Oh you poor souls.... how in the hell did we get by all those years with just paper maps, gazetteers and AAA trip tix?

(help)

No kidding. I don't even have NAV and I rarely use my google maps. Only for a first glance at the beginning of my trip to see which route is best, then I turn it off lest the above happens (see my first point).

You know how many times Google has routed me through the most stupidest routes possible? Way too many times.

No kidding. I don't even have NAV and I rarely use my google maps. Only for a first glance at the beginning of my trip to see which route is best, then I turn it off lest the above happens (see my first point).

You know how many times Google saved me time by finding a back roads way to get me somewhere when I was a field tech? Way too many times. I still use those ways to get places and, according to Mazdas navigation, I'm either driving in the middle of a field or I'm driving to my death as it freaks out the entire time telling me to turn around.

If you don't want to use it, that's fine. A lot of people feel as though it will benefit them and as a result they do. This thread exists because it's a service Mazda said they'd offer. No one is pissing on your lawn.

You know how many times Google saved me time by finding a back roads way to get me somewhere when I was a field tech? Way too many times. I still use those ways to get places and, according to Mazdas navigation, I'm either driving in the middle of a field or I'm driving to my death as it freaks out the entire time telling me to turn around.

If you don't want to use it, that's fine. A lot of people feel as though it will benefit them and as a result they do. This thread exists because it's a service Mazda said they'd offer. No one is pissing on your lawn.

No need to get upset. As I said in another post, I agree that live traffic is useful, to what degree probably matters depends on where you live. Where I live, it serves little purpose in my day-to-day. Like you say, once I learn all the alternate routes, I'm good to go.

Agreed, Mazda promised a service, they should deliver.

Prior to navigation systems and live traffic, 92% of field techs were kidnapped by Indians, never to be seen nor heard from again.

Oh you poor souls.... how in the hell did we get by all those years with just paper maps, gazetteers and AAA trip tix?

Same way we got by without airbags, crumple zones, child safety seats, AWD, fuel injection, cruise control, radial tires, keyless entry, heated seats, etc.

Partially because there were far fewer cars on the road back then. (whistle)

I live and work in the Boston metro area. Traffic is bad here, and through much of New England in general. Traffic seems follows the economy. The late 1990s were bad. During the worst of the last recession, it was bearable. In the years since the recession, it feels like the number of cars on the road has doubled. Heavy traffic jams are an everyday fact of life now, and they don't just happen during commuting hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back