Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not the popular opinion, I am choosing to wait until they add CarPlay before I make my purchase. I've been let down by the other cars in this class and know that I'll eventually get the CX5. The reviews for the 2017 sure give me hope that maybe, just maybe, CarPlay will come this year...

The Car Connection:
"Mazda has hinted that it may add Apple’s CarPlay soon, and deliver to early CX-5 buyers an upgrade to switch on the system, but details haven’t yet been announced."

Motor Trend
"Mazda assured us the latter feature could be a mere software update away should customers demand it."

On the application screen there is a HD Radio Live traffic app that sorta gives you real time traffic info. Course the map still does not show the northern part of I485 (Belt Loop) that was completed nearly two years ago. It also only shows traffic data for MAJOR highways. The built in nav shows traffic data but only based on historical data, not real time. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Interesting that the UK has real time Traffic and USA doesn't

It was the same with the Connect system back when we bought our Mazda3 in 2014. The first release of connect in the US had Real-time traffic as well as WiFi connectivity but it got removed with the first or second firmware upgrade due to reliability issues and/or changing service providers. Turns out Johnson Controls was the OEM for Mazda on the stuff, and about the time of the release in 2014 they had issues with their 3rd party providers in the US. Unfortunately by that time the design was committed to and changing to a different 3rd party vendor never happened. Unfortunately 3 years later we still have the same design.

My guess is that in order for Mazda to get the volume discounting from Johnson Controls down in price so that they could afford Mazda had to commit to a long term purchase (and got stuck with it.....)

While not the popular opinion, I am choosing to wait until they add CarPlay before I make my purchase. I've been let down by the other cars in this class and know that I'll eventually get the CX5. The reviews for the 2017 sure give me hope that maybe, just maybe, CarPlay will come this year...

The Car Connection:
"Mazda has hinted that it may add Apple’s CarPlay soon, and deliver to early CX-5 buyers an upgrade to switch on the system, but details haven’t yet been announced."

Motor Trend
"Mazda assured us the latter feature could be a mere software update away should customers demand it."

Haha, if it's a software update, then it can be hacked in. That'd be interesting.

Don't quote me there. I'm not talking about traffic in my reply.
If you bought a car without Apple Car Play and are now pissed you haven't gotten it yet...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Apologies if I misunderstood your statement but since the whole thread was about Carplay and Android Auto, I assumed you were talking about traffic. Doesn't change my opinion that Mazda over-promised and under-delivered anyway. I paid extra to have navigation in my 2016 GT with Tech and honestly, I feel I've been ripped off when I discovered that live traffic alerts doesn't exist. Not everyone uses navigation only to get directions to an unknown place. I wish I could use mine around town where I live, just to avoid traffic jams. I know where I'm going and I know how to get there but I don't know how to avoid been stuck in traffic.
Very objectively, the navigation system and the whole Infotainment system is not worth what they charge for it. Besides the lack of live traffic alerts which was listed as a feature in the brochure and emphasized by the salesman who sold me the car, the integration with my Android phone is very crappy. Gmail emails can't be synchronized (but aol mail is, go figure!), contacts without a phone number can't be discarded from the sync, etc...
And back to navigation, why the heck Mazda thinks I need to know ALL the gas stations and watering holes for ALL exits on an Interstate which uses 1/3 of the screen for this useless information? I have to turn off this feature manually each time I start the car!!

Last edited:

The Car Connection:
"Mazda has hinted that it may add Apples CarPlay soon, and deliver to early CX-5 buyers an upgrade to switch on the system, but details havent yet been announced."

Motor Trend

AutoBlog.com
One omission from the CX-5 is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support, though Mazda says they'll arrive eventually and can be applied retroactively to already-sold cars.

AutoBlog.com
One omission from the CX-5 is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support, though Mazda says they'll arrive eventually and can be applied retroactively to already-sold cars.

Are Apple CarPlay and Android Auto mature enough to be used without problems? The only benefit for me would be to have the ability to use the latest Navigation maps or maybe live traffic.

All of these AA/Carplay reports are coming from the same launch press event last week... and yet all of them are slightly different. Yes, no, maybe, soon, later, software upgrade, now possible hardware upgrade. I'll believe it when I actually see it.

I wonder what the hardware necessary will be. More memory? To keep costs down the current system probably doesn't have much more than it needs for its own use.

yep very true.

You should see the current generation Honda Pilot. The newest design was just released last year I believe. It's head unit is running android natively.. yet guess what no android auto or apple car play. On their forum there is a thread just like this. People emailing honda etc etc. They were given home with rumors of an update. They had reason to optimistic right? I mean it already runs android natively, it should be easy to implement it. months go by, and then the official press release from Honda .. Android auto and apply car play will NOT be coming to the 2016 Pilot. They claim the issue was something in the hardware.

2017 model gets release, exact same thing pretty much, but whats the new feature.... you guessed it. ANDROID AUTO APPLE CAR PLAY LOL. Man Some of the owners in the forum were crushed. I believe some even traded up. Or it was enough to wait until the latest model even if that was the only few change instead of getting a better price on the 2016.

You can't trust these car manufacturers. It's also not as easy to just change the headunit to an aftermarket one like the old days because everything is integrated and the screens are so proprietary some cars it seems impossible to even update the headunit. So thats why infotainment is more crucial then before. Back then if the stereo sucked no problem its easy to replace. Now thats not the case. I mean look at the 2017 cx5 and 2016-2017 cx9 infotainment. that LCD screen is like the mercedes just there by itself and the controls integrated with the dash. there is NO replacing that even if you wanted to.

So thats why some of us potential buyers like myself make that a big deal. Because some of us will be buying this not leasing, and 30K is an investment for many. So all of these play a factor.

Thats why as ugly as the CRV rims are, rims are easily replaced. Headunits and infotainment systems new cars are not. Same thing with other features, wont be easy to add on. That is why we look at every little thing.

Why part of me is dissapointed at the new cx5 because I expected more and perhaps because I really wanted to go with the new cx5 instead of the new crv but I can't go without having those crucial features I can't easily just add on.

If the head unit needed an internal capability upgrade that could be why. I don't know if I'd throw away thousands of dollars in depreciation just to have google maps on the screen.

To Mazda's credit, they usually take care of customers even if it takes awhile. Consider the 2014-2015 problems in the headunit. It took a couple of years, but they fixed it. It required reverse engineering old bluetooth hardware made by an out of business company, contracting someone else to fix the issue and manufacture a new module. Meanwhile, that headunit was made obsolete by the Mazda connect which was already out. So they didn't really have to do it, and certainly I don't think many manufacturers would bother.

I thought I have read somewhere that Carplay needs extra hardware, which Android Auto does not.... Maybe it is for that?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@shaendra:
This sounds promising!

I've read the same kind of vague announcements from Mazda with no specs and no ETA for several years now.
I'll believe it when I see it.

"Fool me once, shame on you, ................."

I thought I have read somewhere that Carplay needs extra hardware, which Android Auto does not.... Maybe it is for that?

Screw all those Apple fanboys! Am I right!? *puts flame suit on* (rlaugh)

I've read the same kind of vague announcements from Mazda with no specs and no ETA for several years now.
I'll believe it when I see it.

"Fool me once, shame on you, ................."

While I know that the rumors have been around for awhile, AFAIK these rumors have come primarily from the random dealer who may not really be knowledgable and then the canned responses when people submit online suggestions. Have we ever had someone who would be able to *officially* speak about CarPlay/AA make these claims? I'm not going to run out and make a purchase, but it does seem like the most promising "announcement" we've ever had at this point.

While I know that the rumors have been around for awhile, AFAIK these rumors have come primarily from the random dealer who may not really be knowledgable and then the canned responses when people submit online suggestions. Have we ever had someone who would be able to *officially* speak about CarPlay/AA make these claims? I'm not going to run out and make a purchase, but it does seem like the most promising "announcement" we've ever had at this point.

Here is what Mazda Customer Care emailed me in January 2016 consecutive to my complaint. Like I said, their tune hasn't changed. No ETA 14 months ago and still no ETA today.

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking the time to contact Mazda.

With regards to your concern, Live Traffic Services is not a feature currently available through the Mazda Connect System. Mazda is looking into other alternatives but there is not ETA as to when these type of services may become available.
In the meantime we do encourage you to access your vehicle's HD Traffic Map for traffic information. This service allows drivers the ability to see a local traffic map with green, yellow, and red flow patterns of the current conditions. Simply go to the Applications Menu in your Mazda Connect System.

http://hdradio.com/blog/first-mazda-...audio-and-data

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may be causing you but do appreciate your suggestion and have forwarded your request to our Product Planning team for further review and evaluation. Your feedback is very important as we are always looking for ways to continually improve our great products and services.

Here is what Mazda Customer Care emailed me in January 2016 consecutive to my complaint. Like I said, their tune hasn't changed. No ETA 14 months ago and still no ETA today.

I hear you, but when multiple reviewers have been told by an official spokesperson (who I'm sure is more in the know compared to the person responding to general customer emails) that it is coming, I have to believe that it is coming sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back