Carpet on the dashboard

Qcpro5

:
2002 Proteg 5
The **** is up with that?
Am I a newb for asking this?
Seems as only some of you Americans put that in your car. I don't know why cause it's teh uglinessssss. Oh maybe it's some kind of UV protection? I don't know!

(crazy)

Most retarded thing I have ever seen. Everyone has it here in San Diego. Leave the carpet in the leaving room for ***** sake.

Makes me wanna (blarf)

Cracked ass sunlight damaged dash replacement or just lame out & slap somethin over it for less money & time. Given the general lamesness of the world nowadays, I don't understand the confusion about it. It's not a solution for any car you give a s*** about for sure but who cares if it's in some 20 yr old beater that is your dirty job bad weather thodown vehicle that doesn't have a monthly payment & still gets you to & from where you wanna go to do what you wanna do without fouling up your pro street showcar. I don't have a carpet dash btw nor am I condoning it's use.

I had a Dashmat in my 1986 Sentra. Reason: the sun had cracked and dried it to hell. It was either I look at a cracked and brownish dashboard (it was suppose to be blue) or put a Dashmat over the top of it. I thought the Dashmat was the lesser of the 3 evils. And this was back when CD Walkmans were popular and I put the hook side of some Velcro on the back of the CD player and it would stay put on the dash.

I think newer cars are made with better materials and won't crack due to the sun and high heat.

What are you talking about, dash mats are rad. Especially if you have them in your truck with embroidery that says "Me Vida Loca" or "2 Ruff 2 Handle".

s*** doesn't crack if you don't use armorall and park with a sunshade!

Yes, s*** does. At least the dashboards did on both an '80 Corolla and an '87 323 that I owned. They had sun shades and no Armorall was applied, but both had to be parked outside a lot. Between the sun, the summer heat, and the ozone in the air in LA, any padded plastic dashboard is going to crack eventually.

Damn disappearing ozone, cracking dashboards. who cares about glaciers melting look what its doing to my dashboard!

s*** doesn't crack if you don't use armorall and park with a sunshade!

Lemme see if I can figure out the double negatives here: so if you DON'T use Armorall, it won't crack. Right?

And like I said before, materials used in the 70's, 80's and early 90's aren't as good as what is used now. Those early materials just don't hold up to direct sunlight and high heat.

And oh BTW, I used to work for a vinyl repair business. Armorall works OK (there is better stuff out there), but if you use it once and stop using it, that's actually worse for your dash than never using it at all.

Last edited:
Back