Cargo & kid-hauling with the CX-5. Ned experience from current owners

Have you guys seen the new red 2016 cx-5 commercial where the guy drives home with a rear facing baby seat right behind him? Dude had tons of room driving what the heck?!?!?!. My rear facing baby seat is right behind my front passenger seat in the mazda6 (which has more leg front and rear vs cx-5). Whomever sits on the front passenger of my car is scooted forward. Either my Graco Snugride 35 is too big of a model car seat or Mazda did some nifty cgi effects lol. what kind of car seat are you guys using?

Is this the one you're talking about? That guy need to learn to look where he's going!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgNOQlaZXao

Both my wife and I are 5'10 and we put the rear facing seat (graco click connect 35) behind the drivers seat with room to spare.

Right now, we're using a Britax convertible (great design, has cutouts at the back where the seatbelt buckles get attached) and a Safety 1st Alpha Omega convertible (in our Mazda 5, forward facing).

JMJ

The other thing that was in stark contrast was the cloth seating - some kind of basic open-weave cloth that is going to inhale dirt. My 2012 Mazda 5 Sport has a much tighter weave cloth that does a good job combating dirt (plus I ScotchGarded it myself). Luckily, this dealer has a Katzkin installer nearby, so a leather interior is just $1000 away.

Before you pull the trigger there, talk to the installer -- not the dealer -- about color options. If you just go for the "OEM match" you will get the "Sand" equivalent (I think they call it "Putty"); that was a bit of a surprise for me, since I expected to get the "Parchment" [equivalent] I saw in the 2016 GTs (the Katzkin name is "Alabaster", I believe). That may be a little light, but I think it actually looks better with the car's ceiling (which is close to parchment), and I was not quite as happy with the "Sand" color match in my 2016 as I was with my "old" 2015 (RIP). Point being is that they have lots of shades that are just a smudge different and that might be more aesthetically pleasing to you. I know I had long discussions with the Katzkin people about their choice of "Puddy" when in my mind a neighboring color was a much better match. Oh well.

I believe the "Alabaster" would also hold up longer/better than the OEM "Parchment" because in my experience/opinion Katzkin's leather is better quality than what you get from Mazda. But that is purely subjective...

Also, if you like a firmer driver/passenger seat, they can add extra padding at the time of the installation. No extra charge.

Last edited:
You really have to push down on the pedal and then it will go fast. There is a switch under the gas pedal.
I wouldn't buy the 2.0L.
Get the 2.5L and add a paddle shifter to it. The 2.5L, has a better seat material.

You really have to push down on the pedal and then it will go fast. There is a switch under the gas pedal.
I wouldn't buy the 2.0L.
Get the 2.5L and add a paddle shifter to it. The 2.5L, has a better seat material.

I tried that... not much happened.

Paddle shift automatic ≠ manual transmission ;)

Ulrich - great info on Katzkin - much appreciated.

JMJ

Is this the one you're talking about? That guy need to learn to look where he's going!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgNOQlaZXao

Both my wife and I are 5'10 and we put the rear facing seat (graco click connect 35) behind the drivers seat with room to spare.

Right now, we're using a Britax convertible (great design, has cutouts at the back where the seatbelt buckles get attached) and a Safety 1st Alpha Omega convertible (in our Mazda 5, forward facing).

JMJ

Yeah that's the commercial. It must be the car seats I'm using which were gifted. I guess I'll have to make do until I can flip them forward. I'm currently using the base however I never detach to remove the seat. Since I never remove the seat I'm going see if I can go "baseless" thus saving a couple of inches to scoot the seat back.

I'm giving up 100 hp going to the CX-5 Sport manual. This was most evident when driving on the highway - I had t downshift 2 gears to get decent passing acceleration.

You might prefer an old school three-speed. Then you would only need to downshift one gear to get decent acceleration. (thumb)

Have you guys seen the new red 2016 cx-5 commercial where the guy drives home with a rear facing baby seat right behind him? Dude had tons of room driving what the heck?!?!?!. My rear facing baby seat is right behind my front passenger seat in the mazda6 (which has more leg front and rear vs cx-5). Whomever sits on the front passenger of my car is scooted forward. Either my Graco Snugride 35 is too big of a model car seat or Mazda did some nifty cgi effects lol. what kind of car seat are you guys using?

Britax B-Safe (rear facing) with the removable base, although I have it placed behind the passenger seat. My wife still has tons of room, but she's short (5'-5"+/-). The only time I've had space issues was with another 6'+ guy in the seat behind me.

We had an 02 wagon with manual tranny as well, so your post really hit me. We also had an early (2007) 5 with a stick and loved it. Yup no more sticks and wagons (or Saabs)available anymore - too bad. We looked at the Acura TSX wagon - great deals too small. The Subaru Outback - nice car but we thought too much money and we did not want / need AWD. We put 2 kids and a 30 lb dog in the back seat of our CX-5. Granted no car or booster seats being used. If you are used to the Saab you will not like the CX-5 sportt. We have a GT and got a Sport as a loaner and the difference in ride due to wheels/tires is significant. The smaller engine in the Sport is another factor. Cargo capacity is decent for a small SUV. I only wish Mazda sold the metal pet barrier here in the US so I could safely stack the cargo up to the roof (we do a lot of camping) like I did with my Saab. Test drive both. You and add leather (3rd party) and upgrade wheels if you really want a stick but I don't think it would be worth it. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back