Carbon cleaning?

Kbui

:
2008 Mazdaspeed3 white
I took my car to the dealership for the wiper motor ground wire recall and when they were done they recommended the carbon cleaning procedure for $90.

What is that procedure? Is it needed? Is it easy enough to do it yourself? The dealer wants $90 to do it so it can't be that hard.

Our cars have direct injection therefore they dont spray gas past the valves. Since gas is not sprayed past the valves the valves tend to get gunk build-up on them. Even using a good cleaner gas like Shell V-power will not clean the valves because they never see the gas. The Dealer is probably offereing this service based on your mileage. If the car is running well I would skip it. I use Shell V-power anyway and hope for the best.

I took my car to the dealership for the wiper motor ground wire recall and when they were done they recommended the carbon cleaning procedure for $90.

What is that procedure? Is it needed? Is it easy enough to do it yourself? The dealer wants $90 to do it so it can't be that hard.

i'm not sure what they do. ask some questions. it's probably a fuel induction service. try this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

the only way to really get it clean is to pull off the intake manifold and clean it by hand. but then your valves are still dirty... alas.

Our cars have direct injection therefore they dont spray gas past the valves. Since gas is not sprayed past the valves the valves tend to get gunk build-up on them...
From what, air? Don't think so. That's the only thing that passes the intake valves. It's the air/fuel mixture passing the intake valves in a port-injected engine that creates carbon build-up over time. I did a Sea Foam treatment on my Speed about 6K (15 months) ago. Very little smoke. It did help the throttle response a pinch.

The exhaust gas recirculation system and the PCV system shoot all that crap back into the intake and through the intake valves to be reburned. If you've ever run a catch can on the PCV side and seen the stuff that collects you can have some idea that a lot more than air is going back through those intake valves. If you've ever seen what the inside of our EGR tubes look like after a while, you'll know that that stuff that does not collect inside and block the tubes is doing the same thing to the back side of the intake valves.

I'm guessing that they'd clean the EGR system. That is the first thing to get clogged (and cause a CEL) on our engine.

Back