Car won't start - Battery charged but...

tercon

:
'06 RX8
Need some help/guidance. 2006 RX8 Man 6spd 38k miles. Turn the ignition, lights, display and electrical seem on full, and the the engine turns over a few times but no start. Had battery checked at store and shows 12.7 volts and good. It has gas, but just doesn't seem to spark to start. I don't think it's flooded, that's never happened in the two plus years I've had it.

Any ideas? Am I left with a tow to the shop for more diagnosis?

Need some help/guidance. 2006 RX8 Man 6spd 38k miles. Turn the ignition, lights, display and electrical seem on full, and the the engine turns over a few times but no start. Had battery checked at store and shows 12.7 volts and good. It has gas, but just doesn't seem to spark to start. I don't think it's flooded, that's never happened in the two plus years I've had it.

Any ideas? Am I left with a tow to the shop for more diagnosis?

If the engine only turns over a few times and then stops I would suspect something in the electrical system. Otherwise if it is turning over and the deflooding procedure doesn't work...IDK. Maybe check the battery terminals and connectors for corrosion?

This happened to me once...I jumped it with another car and it turned on like a champ. But I used two cars...the first one did not have enough juice and the rx8 still did not turn. Than I got my SUV and it worked.

Thanks for the ideas. Tried to jump it with my SUV, didn't help. Auto parts store tested battery as full anyway. It isn't clicking like a starter issue.

Would having problems with spark plugs, wires, or coils cause it to turn but not start?

Saw the DIY thread. Willing to try this, but don't want to spend what I don't need to.

Thanks for the ideas. Tried to jump it with my SUV, didn't help. Auto parts store tested battery as full anyway. It isn't clicking like a starter issue.

Would having problems with spark plugs, wires, or coils cause it to turn but not start?

Saw the DIY thread. Willing to try this, but don't want to spend what I don't need to.

With 38K miles, plugs and coils would be a good idea regardless of wether or not they are causeing this problem. With that said, I doubt they are causing you problem. I would think your should be looking for a fuse of broken (open) wire.

Problem resolved for now

Well, I assumed wrong. It was flooded. I went through a deflooding process unplugging fuel pump fuse, and the air pump connector, keeping it jumped from a second car, then cranking off and on (no more than 10 seconds on and then off) for a couple minutes. Did that three times with a 5 minute break in between. On third set it sputtered and tried to start but didn't. On fourth set, it started when I gave it a little gas.

Kept it at 1500-2000 rpm until temp showed warmed up - 4-5 minutes. Turned off - plugged fuse and air pump back in and started up fine. Took jumpers off - ran in place for 5 mins. Turned wheel side to side to turn off DSC light. Then turned off and restarted car to turn off TCS indicator light.

Went out and ran it for 15-20 mins hitting 7k-8k rpm occasionally and it ran fine again.

No doubt the plugs and coils are a good idea. At least now I can plan for their purchase and install. Thanks for all the input.

Back