Car was runnin then...boom

midnightracr

:
Mazda,MP3
First let me say Juan is awsome. He answered all of my stupid questions as did YP5Toronto. Well it took my dad & I three weeks to get er' done. This was the first for us for something like this. We're used to V8's. It was a father son project that was fuc%ing awsome. I had a blast & has some frustration on some things. It took me & my dad all of three weeks to get everything on then we decide to crank it & no luck. All it would do is rollover. Wouldn't even try to fire. My dad at the time thought it was timing. Long story short i get the notion to go back to Comp USA to buy a serial port to change the ignition crank map. Well halfway there juan calls me & asks me how my car is doing. I tell him not so good that all it will do is rollover. Told him all connections were correct because we went over everything 5 times probably more i lost count...LOL. I tell Juan to give me 30-40 min to call me back since it would take that long to get back to my car so i can look at it when he tell me what to do. Well not even 10min's go by & he calls me back. He tells me the wiring instructions are wrong about the coil wires. i get off the phone with Juan & call my dad & tell him the news. When i get there my dad has the car running. Not good but it was running. It was stumbling, idle was erratic, i mean all over the place, CEL light was on. I take he car out goes i was just so damn excited that it was actually running. My G/F hops in & we go for a little spin. i hear the BOV go off on the 1st two gears then it stops. We go a little further & the car wasn't pulling very hard barely pulling at all. Then i remembered about Shagwagn having the same problem so i go back home pop the hood and sure enough a pipe was disconnected. I tightened that up & Juan calls back & helps out even more CEL light went off for a little bit but came back on. Juan tell my dad to plug the boost controller into the conector that helps with fuel going into boost (making it lean or rich) I get off the phone with Juan and take it back out & HOLY s*** this b**** pulled I mean pulled hard. I wouldn't even floor it & it would set you back into the seat. Pulled up beside an older 5.0 mustang asked him if he wanted to run so we go from a 30 & s*** he didn't even have a chance. I go back home & asked dad to take a ride with me he jumps in & I did the same thing. I would only gas it halfway. i looked over at and said watch this. I get on it a little in 1st not much though, 2nd gear just a little more, 3rd gear i got on it pretty good and it sat us back in the seat i look over at him and said what u think? he said pulls damn good so get on it a little in 4th but not much change gears going into 5th then boom. i look in my rear view and smoke everywhere. i'm gonna tell you my heart just dropped when i saw all of the smoke I felt like crying it hurt. It took so long to get it on and in the 1st day it blows up. i wasn't acting stupid i never floored it to the floor & changed gears before 6k i got on it but never floored it. Hell i NEVER heard any kind of detonation at all. So know as pissed as my G/F was for me using he car I know had to deliver the great news that my car just blew up. it hurts guys, boost is VERY addicting now it's gone. So hear is what is going to happen I'll have to buy another used car probably a used Civic then when i have enough money I'll buy a used block drop it in and get Forged rods & pistons & possibly a steel crank 7 put the turbo back on. Hopefully it's ok but I doubt it. Juan called me shortly after it happened when i was waiting for the tow truck He asked me how is it running I told him it WAS hauling ass bbut then i told him it just blew up. He aked me if it was pulling hard and said o yeah. I think what might have happened is I spiked past 14psi which is what it's mapped to. i'm dissapointed, sad, upset but it'll come back stronger. Juan can you still help me out on those forged internals? When i get done with this thing it will be a beast. Only it will take a very long tome for that to happen. Buying the Highboost kit nearly broke me only have 2k in the bank. Juan has a great kit made this MP3 fast as hell. It's just unfortunate that this happened but it will be back eventually

paragraphs = good.

anyway, sorry to hear about the loss, but it sounds like you shouldnt have been taking it out if it was running like s***.

damn dude, all that s*** to get her running, and then it craps out on you? not good(headshake

good luck in the future I guess :D

yes.. do... need pics? they are stunning (well the rods anyways, my pistons are still being made)

yea not to be a dick but its your own fault. you said it wasnt running well... then you didnt even do 4th or 5th gear pulls to check for DET. i babied my car for a while before i went for it and i still worry about it.

I feel your pain but at least your car was boosted when it went mines was almost stock when it went (blowup) boom i had the same sick feeling almost wanted to (puke) i hope things get better for you.

Dude... First thing ....there are many that have been where you are.... Including me..

I'm glad that you are staying positive.....

As always..I am here for you....

YP5 Toronto said:
As always..I am here for you....

ewww! lol. yeah dude good thing you arent bitching and getting crazy. people on here are always glad to help you out.

First off I'm not complaining or putting blame on anything. yeah it wans't smart to take it out with it running like that but s*** guys come on. I finally put it on & wanted to feel boost. oh well it's done now. Man was it fuc%ing awsome wen it was pulling. Oh by the way SenorCorwin not to be a dick but i did do 3rd & 4th gear pulls & no DET at all.
Thanx Dominoy2K1 that's why i like this site everybody helps everybody out but naw I'm not bitchin it is unfortunate but like I said it WILL be back sometime next year

you cant always hear detonation.... you could of been having tons of it... its just not always in the audible range, or at a frequency easily heard over the engine

I thought the map Juan gave you was tested on a car already. Why would it of been running bad if it was a good map, maybe some more wrong wiring?? Was that map tested on an MP3 or a regular protege? If not tested on an MP3, then the timing retarding values would not of been enough since the MP3 has more advanced timing. You might want to check that out.

I have much more timing retard then a turboed protege 5 has, because of the MP3 ECU. The midrange timing is a killer so that kinda explains why it went boom even though you weren't stomping on it. The "standard" map (if there is one) would not work on an MP3 safely.

sorry to hear about this ...

but i feel for you.. the same thing happened to me. but im sure im in a little more of a money pinch than you are. but keep it positive... ever since my engine blew i have not driven my car hard 1 time. ive stopped moding and dont plan on moding the mp3 more other than the nippon denso pump i just got. im actually gonna sell it in the spring and but a civic beater or a pickup and buy a 400cc bike and turbo it..
but thats neither here or there..

just keep in mind ... the more you mod the more reliability goes down the drain..

midnightracr said:
First off I'm not complaining or putting blame on anything. yeah it wans't smart to take it out with it running like that but s*** guys come on. I finally put it on & wanted to feel boost. oh well it's done now. Man was it fuc%ing awsome wen it was pulling. Oh by the way SenorCorwin not to be a dick but i did do 3rd & 4th gear pulls & no DET at all.
Thanx Dominoy2K1 that's why i like this site everybody helps everybody out but naw I'm not bitchin it is unfortunate but like I said it WILL be back sometime next year
:'( you said nothing about 3rd or 4th gear pulls anywhere and you learned somethnig dont get all angry. i dont understand why your going to buy a civic when you can prob get a motor shell for the same price. Have you lifted or pulled the motor? did you throw a rod? what color smoke was it? Do you know what det sounds like? did you have all you windows up, radio off and A/C off? Honestly if you did everything right i might be one to blame juan he is known for writing very bad directions in fact he should hire somone to answer his phones and edit or write his directions. He knows his s*** but he doesnt make very good instructions.

As mad as you might if i pop my motor it means oh well thats life and im going to go out take a loan get forged and cryo the tranny and be ready for bigger better s***. Dont be and pussy and fall on your face and stay there get up do what you have to and fix your s***.

Wow - popped on the first day. That sucks. I remember when I blew my engine - had it running for about a month I guess. That day really sucked. Learning experience though. Now I'm paying off my car (4 months left - should have been 3, but I spent more money this summer than I was planning), and saving for something more fun. (EVO - STI - s2000 - or do the responsible thing and buy a house)

I hate to hear these kind of stories.... :( Jeezz it seemed like so long ago when I blew my motor. Well it was almost 2 years already, but I know what you mean. Right before mine blew it felt soooooo strong. But thats what they say your car always runs strongest just be for it goes boooooom.

Dave

SenorCorwin said:
you learned somethnig dont get all angry. i dont understand why your going to buy a civic when you can prob get a motor shell for the same price. Have you lifted or pulled the motor? did you throw a rod? what color smoke was it? Do you know what det sounds like? did you have all you windows up, radio off and A/C off? Honestly if you did everything right i might be one to blame juan he is known for writing very bad directions in fact he should hire somone to answer his phones and edit or write his directions. He knows his s*** but he doesnt make very good instructions.

As mad as you might if i pop my motor it means oh well thats life and im going to go out take a loan get forged and cryo the tranny and be ready for bigger better s***. Dont be and pussy and fall on your face and stay there get up do what you have to and fix your s***.
No pussy here bro. Yes i did learn something that's not to take it out when it's not running optimal. But hey that was my fault i was just so damn excited I couldn't help it. In the manual Juan sent it said to do 3rd & 4th gear pulls to hear if there is any DET. Man i threw a rod, shattered a piston went out the left side of the block. Juan is very cool he helped me out alot.
BiggTimm: I asked the same question about my car having more timing than a P5. I've decided to not buy a beater. it would be pointless at this point. I would buy a car & end up having to put it in the shop more times than not & waisting time & money on it instead of where it should be going. So I'm going to find a good used block, put forged internals in, heavy duty clutch, Total Seal rings, guages everywhere, J&S safeguard & possibly a steel crank . I'll find out why the hell the CEl light was on, why it wasn't idling at a consistant rpm, & probably lower the timing.
BiggTimm: Juan told me he set the MAP up on his P5. I was thinking I would have trouble also since MP3's have way more timing than a P5. Would this work? Ditch the MP3 ECU & get a P5 ECU? Would i have to get a new harness or would it be Plug&Play? if it's just plug&play i just might do that

Fixed your quote
-LinuxRacr

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading this I dont know if I want to install my spoolin kit tomorrow. This may be a good lesson learn, but damn all that money to learn a lesson really sucks azz.

My $0.02

Back