car running too lean

pipmoutprog5

:
Mazdaspeed 3
hey guys how can i fix this. my car is running too lean i had it dyno sunday and i was told it was running too lean. need help asap.

Well.....some information would nice. What mods do you have? I'm assuming you have some mods because stock these cars run pig rich.

Is your BOV running in recirc mode? Make sure it is, unless your car is tuned for a true BOV.

But i would bet on your sri making your car lean, make sure there's no leaks there. Other than that, i would suggest a tune or a monitoring device (DH/AP) to log what you have. The only way to really see what's going on.

And chuck some good internals into the fuel pump if you haven't already done so...that should be mod #2 on this car, right after Dashhawk.....

I agree with post above - we need more information. Did your dyno operator give you a print-out of the dyno? Many of them have the air-fuel ratio (AFR) as a scale and horizontal line on the bottom of the chart. If you have it and can scan and post it, that would be helpful.

How "lean" were you told it was? Opinions here will vary, but my view is that anything leaner (bigger number) than high 11's to low 12's under load is too lean for me.

Regarding your BOV - yes, it needs to be running in full recirc. Farting air to atmosphere for giggles is not good. With a MAF sensor measuring air mass on the unpressurized side of the intake your ECU then matches fuel it thinks is needed and shoots it into your cylinders at high pressure. When you fart some of that air back to atmosphere instead of sending it back into the intake track, there is a mismatch of air and fuel. It usually shows up in drivability problems, but eventually could result in the ECU "detuning" the engine to try to compensate. That's why there are credible reports of VTA MS3's dynoing lower than recirc BPV engines with otherwise similar mods.

However, VTA on our engines typically makes the engine run even richer, not leaner, so I have some doubts that is the problem unless you have a vacuum line to the BOV or some other vacuum line loose, pinched, cracked or damaged when you were making your mods.

Are you throwing any check engine light codes - is the check engine light on? If so, can you get us the code number (take it to Autozone, etc. and geta free code read) and give us the number. There are many reasons for running lean and this would be a big help.

Without a monitor(a borrowed Dash Hawk or similar device) of some kind to know what your AFR's actually are under different conditions, we're pretty much looking for a needle in a haystack right now.

More info please.

Last edited:
+1 on the more info. your dyno operator might have been used to port injected motors and didn't realize that our car's stock tune is supposed to run in the 13s for a few hundred rpms after going WOT before dipping down to rich numbers.

I agree you need a dashawk, or an AP to monitor whats going on with your car. I'm kind of leaning towards the above post, the dyno guy probably just doesn't have any experience with our car. If your car is running too lean you'll get a cel code. But definitely look into a monitoring device, always good to have, especially if you plan on doing more mods.

Back