Car pulls to right only on snow/ice

Weborific

Hi again!
Here's my problem. The car drives perfect on dry roads. Even if braking hard. However, when driving on snow (especially deep snow), the car always pulls really hard to the right on acceleration and returns to normal when I let go of gas. So from a stop sign, I accelerate, then car pulls, then I have to kinda pump the gas to regain stability. I've got one of the best tires (Blizzak Revo-1) but I'm slipping (mostly just on take-off). The more snow, the harder it pulls. It's at the point where I litterally turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left to drive in a straight line. Is this normal?? My mechanic noticed on my last visit that my stabilizer link on the right side was loose but didn't have time to repair it. Could this be the problem? THANKS!!

Last edited:
It's simple...

The Passenger front wheel is your main drive wheel. It is simply spinning faster than the driver side wheel causing you to pull in that direction. It's just slipping nothing big. Happens to me everyday during winter here in Newfoundland. It's the same thing in all FWD vehicles don't be worried just slow down a little haha

Thanks for the reply, Lanny! So is there anything that can be done about this? Is there any adjustment?
I'm not driving fast. Remember, I'm accelerating from a stop when it's most apparent. Everybody else's car in front of me drives straight ahead and I look like I'm driving with summer tires!!

Last edited:
Buy an AWD vehicle is about all you could do ;) No matter the quality of the snow tire on there you're still going to have that slippage. And yes, I realize it's most apparent when first accelerating but give it a try when you're just driving on a straight road and punch the gas...you'll veer to that same side. Like I said it's only because that wheel spins faster because it's you're main drive wheel. Next dry day nail the gas from a stop light .. if you can burn out that's the wheel that will burn.

Thanks again, Lanny! But...I just thought about it... If my passenger wheel is spinning faster, then wouldn't my car turn LEFT?

It doesn't have to with which is the primary drive wheel. P5's have open front differentials (in the transmission) so power is only transferred evenly assuming both wheels have the same traction. As soon as one wheel looses traction more power gets shifted the that wheel. This is why if you're only half on ice, that wheel will spin while the other just sits there. The only way to improve this is to swap out the differential with a limited-slip differential (LSD). These come stock in MSPs (prone to breaking) and a company called Quaife sells aftermarket ones that are great but very pricey.

Thanks for the responses, guys!
I'll have to take a look and see if the tires are worn evenly. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. I'm only on my 3rd winter with them and have them rotated. I DID have a very slight alignment problem that was just corrected last month. We'll see...

Latest posts

Back