car just about out of gas..cant get the damn gas cap off!

its not because of vaporlock or anything like that. if you look at the threads, you can tell that it can screw in crooked, which is what also happened to me. if you screw/thread it in ever-so slightly crooked, it'll get stuck.

Nothing like gassing up late at night and swearing like a sailor because your gas cap is stuck and you still have a couple hour ride to get home.....

Yea I had this happen to me once and I felt kinda stupid struggling with my own car's cap.. but turns out it was screwed in at an angle..no bueno

Sounds to me like you guys are not including a tongue and groove plier in the toolkit that you should have put in the trunk of the car....

Ed.

u prolly put it on sideways if your off by a degree it ***** up thats what happened 2 me and dealer replaced it

Shoot. This just happened to me. I was so happy today too. I just got my Forge BPV installed, had some nice spirited runs, filled up for only $20. But now my gas cap's stuck. I was so scared I put the BPV in wrong 'cause I got a CEL but only after I got gas. How'd you guys take it off?

Update: Fixed thanks to a thread in the Mazda 5 section that said to push in and tighten it until it comes off. But I still get a CEL. Could it be the ECU?

Last edited:
Update: Fixed thanks to a thread in the Mazda 5 section that said to push in and tighten it until it comes off. But I still get a CEL. Could it be the ECU?

Push in and tighten until it "comes off" or until the CEL goes off? If the cap is not tightened all the way it will cause a CEL. My cap sticks like this. I have to wiggle it and sometimes re-tighten it until it clicks and then try again to get it out. I need to get it replaced with the "new" cap.

this happens to me on a regular basis. first time i broke the thing off. then the dealer installed a new one. best thing to do is push the thing in while turning CCW. This has worked over 10 times for me. To prevent this from happening DO NOT tighten the thing till it clicks. lightly turn it and when it stops let it go.

I was finally able to get the gas cap off last night and I just came back from Advance Auto to check the CEL. It was "P2187 System too lean at idle speed" so I'm getting too much air into the air/fuel mixture. I reset it and so far the CEL hasn't come back on. I checked all the hoses last night and they're on tight. I'll double check again later. The only mods I have are a CP-E Nano and Forge BPV. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Back