Car in gear but won't move :( HELP!!

N0TyourMSP

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I drove it the other day and then it randomly just revved up wile driving and won't go from there... Sounds like its a transmission problem.. I heard that it could be a cracked LSD. I'm not sure. Should I get a new tranny or buy the LSD and try to install it... Anyone know anything about it ! Let me know thank you!

It definitely sound like the diff especially if its still the oem one. Most people get a factory diff but get it welded to avoid it from happening in the future, or another option is to get a M-Factory diff.

did you try all gears i just went through alot of problems with my transmission. if its all the gears then its the Lsd if its just one gear its that gear is broken. i broke my 3rd gear mid drive.

It definitely sound like the diff especially if its still the oem one. Most people get a factory diff but get it welded to avoid it from happening in the future, or another option is to get a M-Factory diff.

I know ZERO people who have purchased an original equipment unit from Mazda and had someone weld it. I've heard ZERO stories on the forums of people purchasing an original equipment unit from Mazda and having someone weld it. Where have you seen this? Why would you pay $500 for an OEM diff, then pay someone $50 to weld it and it be guaranteed to be out of balance, when you could purchase an MFactory unit for $630???

But, more importantly, 1,000,000:1 it's the differential.

Thanks a lot guys! I have the tranny out of the car now. Do I just open up the tranny and put in the new LSD ? Is it that easy? Just wondering before I order the part.

did you try all gears i just went through alot of problems with my transmission. if its all the gears then its the Lsd if its just one gear its that gear is broken. i broke my 3rd gear mid drive.

All my gears don't work. Just revs up.

Thanks a lot guys! I have the tranny out of the car now. Do I just open up the tranny and put in the new LSD ? Is it that easy? Just wondering before I order the part.

There's a How-To somewhere...

I know ZERO people who have purchased an original equipment unit from Mazda and had someone weld it. I've heard ZERO stories on the forums of people purchasing an original equipment unit from Mazda and having someone weld it. Where have you seen this? Why would you pay $500 for an OEM diff, then pay someone $50 to weld it and it be guaranteed to be out of balance, when you could purchase an MFactory unit for $630???

Hmm theres actually quite a few people with a welded stock lsd. You should definitely get a mfactory though.

And yeah its a comon failure.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?64821-LSD-Failure-LIST

Last edited:

Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious. I cant even count the number of people who have done this including myself. Getting the OEM diff welded was a good alternative to the Quaife and this was because the MFactory wasn't available yet.

But I would still recommend going with the M-Factory, just remember you need a new ring gear if you go with the M-Factory, or you can reuse your old one, but you need to machine/drill it out.

Lots of people did this including myself. MFactory LSDs were not available back then. Zero issues with balance.
attachment.php

I went to shift into third and now it won't go into any gears while driving but when the car is off it goes into every gear but when I start it it will only move in third. Any ideas on what I do or what it is ???

Back