Car dies while I'm doing 50 on the hwy (and so can you)

im2bad4ya

Contributor
:
MAZDASPEED Protege 2K3.5 #882
So this is what happened, I take a 15 mile drive from home to go out with my friend to some bars. So basically it's 5 mins of city driving turns to 15 mins of highway driving to about 10 of city driving again. We go bar hopping without finding any prospects, so we never leave the car or shut it off. So on the way back towards my house, after I get on the on ramp to the highway, my car looses power. The car itself is still on, but as I'm already doing about 50mph, as I hit the gas, the car doesn't go any faster. My vacuum gauge reads 0 and my RPM's don't rise as I give it gas. So I let the car glide, while I'm still in gear towards the break down lane. As I'm trying in vein to give it gas and get any power, I get the dreaded BLINKING CEL, after which about 5 seconds after, my car shuts off (and I'm still gliding at this point). So after the car truly dies, I put it into neutral and about 1/4 mile later I pull into the break down lane where it sat for the next 2 hrs.

So I try turning the car on, it still turns over (so my starter is good) but it just won't turn on itself. (Long story short, I got AAA to get me home, yay!)

So now I have to figure out the problem. My best educated guess is that it's either fuel or ignition related. There was no smoke or any funny smells or anything of worry to make me believe it's in extremely serious problem. It could be something like the fuel pump or I may need new coil packs, something along those lines. But I'm gonna see if I can't get an OBD2 tool and check for codes, and see if the car starts with starter fluid. Just wanted to vent a little, but more importantly, see if anyone has gone through these same symptoms and perhaps point me in the direction to where I should start looking. (sad1)

Codes will tell you a lot. My first guess would be fuel pump. Turn the car in the on position. Crank it once and listen for the fuel pump to kick on.

Check fuses. Easiest thing you could do right now. I think a flashing cel is ignition related

just did computer check,

P0303 misfire cylinder 3

thats it, that alone wouldnt cause my car to die and not turn over.

so the fuel pump is located beneth the passenger seats correct? on a related note, id be super lucky if the fuel punp is the culprit. i have a brand new bosch fuel pump and strainer intended to go on my MX3, and luckily, itll work in the MSP, but ill give a listen to it n see if thats it

n i checked the fuses, all is well in that department

u checked fuses inside and outside the car? fuel pump is in the tank i think. Access is under the back seat i think(never had to fool with it)

if a fuse is blown and it's fuel related the car wouldn't start...after a brief google search often the blinking cel can mean a very rich fuel condition that may lead to screwing up you cat if left unchecked

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I GIVE YOU, SPARK PLUG #3!

95e8aa88.jpg

589fdf39.jpg

bbf33248.jpg

You definitely have something funky going on . I had a similar problem where cylinder 4 was destroying spark plugs, and blowing them out, destroying the ignition coil in the process. I looked down the cylinder but couldn't see any debris. eventually reputed blowing out/destroying of spark plugs ruined the thread in the head, not to mention my car was now a full time smoker. Head removal revealed a piston riddled with indentions and crevices. Walls of cylinder 4 were scratched up, and boring if the block revealed a crack in the block

I'm getting a sick feeling........

I just replaced all four spark plugs and the valve cover gasket. Car still won't turn on. I'm dreading doing a compression test, cause I feel like cylinder 3 might be dead (I have no other explanation why the car won't turn on). But I know when a cylinder goes, especially when I'm driving, I'd hear a pop or the car would shake or I'd feel it and I'd have all types of white and/or black smoke. I'm not sure where to go from here. I cleared the codes and no new ones pop up, but the car still doesn't turn on....

Latest posts

Back