Car Alarm /Remote Starter Question

Bijou-MP5

Contributor
:
2010 Mazda3 S Hatch
My car was vandalized twice last year...ever since that I have been saving my money to get nice alarm.
I found local performance shop have viper 771XV(remote starter/alarm/keyless) and they told me installation price is $379. but then he later told me that I have to pay another $50 for extra part and saying that our key having somekind of chip in it.
is this true?
I would love to install alarm by myself but I don't have a garage and it's really getting cold around here. :p

our key doesn't have a chip it in it at all. however, the 50 bucks might be for an alarm bypass module. commonly used when the vehicle has a factory alarm system. but the chipped key thing is bulls***. i would find out exactly what he is charging you for. i really think it's the bypass box

pb4ugoout said:
our key doesn't have a chip it in it at all. however, the 50 bucks might be for an alarm bypass module. commonly used when the vehicle has a factory alarm system. but the chipped key thing is bulls***. i would find out exactly what he is charging you for. i really think it's the bypass box

I have no alarm in my car, and do I really need that alarm bypass module for our car?
I will probably give him a call tomorrow about this.
btw, my car is auto...(thumb)

Last edited:
screw that. don't need it. Perhaps they're thinking it's a 3? YOu're manual, right? check the sticky thing for where to get the transmission neutral safety trigger.

Poseur said:
screw that. don't need it. Perhaps they're thinking it's a 3? YOu're manual, right? check the sticky thing for where to get the transmission neutral safety trigger.

my car is auto :p but do I still need bypass module for remote starter?

Poseur said:
There's nothing that you need to be bypassing.
alrighty then, I 'm going to call installer and tell him my car doesn't need bypass module for alarm(remote stater, turbo timer).
is bypass module only for manual?

nope wouldn't need it then either. just that for manuals there's a special wire you need to track down so that your alarm will know not to start if it's in gear.

called installer again...they said that their computer database shows that protege might need door lock module(something about resistor)...
they want to look at my car first and they can tell me if I really need it or not.
I guess I can find out next week.

on the protege sedan, they needed resistors to make the door locks work. For this you need a relay, that may be different for the protege 5. you dont need a module for the door locks, or for the remote start. just a relay, they are like $20.

MSPRCRX44 said:
on the protege sedan, they needed resistors to make the door locks work. For this you need a relay, that may be different for the protege 5. you dont need a module for the door locks, or for the remote start. just a relay, they are like $20.

thanks for the info.
I hope that protege5 is different from sedan. any extra parts...they wanted $50

It's a fairly simple setup, but you you do need a relay and and resitor setup. MIght be tha they're charging for the extra labor as well as parts. Depending on who you deal with it varies.

Poseur said:
It's a fairly simple setup, but you you do need a relay and and resitor setup. MIght be tha they're charging for the extra labor as well as parts. Depending on who you deal with it varies.
thanks, I just wanted to know if they were honest or not. ^_^

Back