can you kill the turkey without a bov?

ga0887

:
2002 Protege5
i read somewhere on the forum that a member was running a boost sciences rdv in place of the stock dv and he had no turkey..

so can you?

i got a boostsciences BPV, and i got more turkey than with the stock one..

so no. :)

kill the turkey by going with a dual setup, BOV and BPV.

personnally i prefer the turkey....makes it more "unique".

or just do the MAF relocation and run a BOV w/o a BPV. I did that and the car idels way better now too just by moving the maf. i would do this if you have hardpipes. HKS SSQV sound very sexy, FYI.

oh crap - I just purchased this BS bpv thinking it would get rid of the
turkey (are you serious?)

i got a boostsciences BPV, and i got more turkey than with the stock one..

so no. :)

kill the turkey by going with a dual setup, BOV and BPV.

personnally i prefer the turkey....makes it more "unique".

oh crap - I just purchased this BS bpv thinking it would get rid of the
turkey (are you serious?)

of course im serious...mine turkeys like a mofo... it scares the crap out of people walking down the street when i stroll by LOL

if you want less or no turkey without a BOV, put on the stock airbox/intake assembly and put a drop in K&N filter . you won't hear it ( almost)

the BS BPV is a great product, you won,t regret it

wow - but I was told that is was bad for the turbo!!!!!!!!!

of course im serious...mine turkeys like a mofo... it scares the crap out of people walking down the street when i stroll by LOL

if you want less or no turkey without a BOV, put on the stock airbox/intake assembly and put a drop in K&N filter . you won't hear it ( almost)

the BS BPV is a great product, you won,t regret it

wow - but I was told that is was bad for the turbo!!!!!!!!!

The turkey will eventually kill your turbo, but it won't be right away as the PSI is low on the MSP. I would get the BOV and run dual with the stocker, its good for low and high boost (future plans, etc...).

I'm Kinda surprised the BS RDV doesn't kill the turkey, with a bigger diameter you should be able to push a decent amount more air, but then you need to make sure that you don't make the pipping too long otherwise the air just won't flow as well, not sure why though.

i dont see how a BPV would kill the turbo as alot of cars have them.

if you're thinking comprerssor surge, it might be that but im not too sure.

why would a BPV make compressor surge and not a BOV ?

whats the diffrence in mechanical terms?

i dont see how a BPV would kill the turbo as alot of cars have them.

if you're thinking comprerssor surge, it might be that but im not too sure.

why would a BPV make compressor surge and not a BOV ?

whats the diffrence in mechanical terms?

Its the compressor surge or turkey (stupid turkey hid under my car last thanksgiving instead of being on my plate!!!!!) that will kill the turbo in the end, a BOV will not surge as much (or not at all depending on PSI etc..) as the BPV because of the amount of air being vented out and lack of resistance, the outlet is at least a good 1.5" in diameter vs the BPV 1" or less and its being recirculated + you need added plumbing for the BPV which means resistance, more pipe = harder to push air and everything follows the path of least resistance.

Mechanically they work the same but because a BPV is smaller and needs plumbing to be routed the BOV will work better than it.

But then there is always the problem of BOV's and idling which I haven't fully understood but by running dual you get the best of both worlds....and a cool sound...

yeah but a boostsciences BPV is the same size as the OEM one on a Vw 1.8T.. so technically they will suffer from surge as well then..

yeah but a boostsciences BPV is the same size as the OEM one on a Vw 1.8T.. so technically they will suffer from surge as well then..

not 100% sure on the effectivness of the BPV in the VW 1.8T...should ask my friend on that one...but chances are that it is suffering from compressor surge as well (stock I don't hear it but then again the MSP stock you don't hear it either thanks air box!!!(yupnope)), but I don't know on how it is routed, I remember that one setup I had on the MSP even the stock BPV would git rid of the turkey at low boost because the Inner diameter of my hot pipe is larger than stock and I rigged the pipeing to be almost flush on the Intake side and about 2" on the HP side (had to remove it you can only be so ghetto and I haven't had time to think up a better solution) Think I have a pic of it somewhere....you'd laugh...

my hot pipe has a 1" diameter for the BPV and i still get TONs of turkey.. even more now at 9-10 psi

it's loud as **** lol

I am on my second turbo because of this turkey, compressor surge etc..
wow dunno what to do now - frost you have the SLS pipe 1 inch going
into the BS BPV whats on the other end? do you have PICS?

I am on my second turbo because of this turkey, compressor surge etc..
wow dunno what to do now - frost you have the SLS pipe 1 inch going
into the BS BPV whats on the other end? do you have PICS?
on the other end i got an INJEN CAI converted to short ram.

and using coolant hoses to hook it up.

you won't see much.

IMG%5F2682.jpg

you people say it,s surge but wouldn,t surge hold up some boost while shifting? my boost gauge goes way to -20 in vaccum when i'm shifting.. there can be that much surge going back if there is a vaccum enviroment instead of a boosting environement... no?

nope..

the more i think about it and the more i think it's not the size of the BPV that make it do that sound..

the "TETETETE sound is from another thing.. it must be the spring in the BPV thats too strong.... you can make the BOV with a tight srping do that or something close to it i think.

i mean if the bpv fully opens and lets out the air.. why would it makje such a sound? it's a 7/8" hole that opens under vac to let out the pressure..

it has to be the spring..

Last edited:
in the forge bpv you can change the springs so maybe one of the their weeker springs will cause the turkey to go away if what you say frost is correct.

maybe boostsciences can help us out with this?

maybe they got a weaker spring too,i'd be a buyer

Last edited:
Whatever takes away that sound I am all hears I dont want to damage
my turbo!!!! By the way thanks for the pic frost...

Last edited:
That sound comes from the compressor in the turbo from all the air that got slammed out of the TB and back into the IC and turbo, think of it like speaking though a fan, causing your turbo's compressor to stop spinning in like 2 seconds. If you put a tighter spring on a BOV then it takes more pressure to open the valve and you get more turkey...with the BPV you just don't move enough air...your boost gauge will register a vac because it is in vac, the air is being sucked back from the TB...

Back