Can i put a mazdaspeed protege subwoofer/amp box in a non mazdaspeed protege?

terrytek247

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
so, i got a stock 2002 mazda protege sitting in my garage, and pretty soon i'm gonna take it out driving again. however, i'm kinda complaining about how sub par the audio is without a subwoofer. than someone told me i can put the enclosure from a mazdaspeed protege into a regular protege and it will sound better. can it work? i saw one for sale on ebay, and according to the pictures, it looks like it can fit without much modifications, other than wiring it up right, though i might leave that up to the pros. and i realize, if i do want to replace the stock sub, i would need to find a shallow mount sub since the enclosure does look shallow. but would it be worth 300 or so bucks to put it in? like would audio quality be improved? i have the 2002 es model, with the 6 speaker system (2 tweeters in door, 2 speakers in front door, 2 in rear panel) and i was asking if it was a worthwhile upgrade.

You can probably get a better subwoofer and amp for the same $300. The MSP wasn't anything special and the subwoofers were prone to failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can probably get a better subwoofer and amp for the same $300. The MSP wasn't anything special and the subwoofers were prone to failure.

Yeah, but i just want the box so i can keep it factory looking, while improving audio quality.

You'll have to remove the speakers on the rear deck and install different size speakers in the doors. I'm pretty sure only the Protege5, MSP and MP3 models came with rear door speakers. The standard protege only had them in the rear deck. So even if you have the grills, there probably isn't speakers behind them.

You'll have to remove the speakers on the rear deck and install different size speakers in the doors. I'm pretty sure only the Protege5, MSP and MP3 models came with rear door speakers. The standard protege only had them in the rear deck. So even if you have the grills, there probably isn't speakers behind them.

Correct, mine didn't have the wires in the doors until I ran it, I ended up using the msp brackets and replaced the mdf with ply to mount an alpine sub/amp box to, shown in my build.

im late, i know, but the mp3 came with rear deck speakers and a subwoofer tube.

The MP3 unit was different. If I recall it was just a cube in the center while the MSP had an elongated enclosure.

The MP3 unit was different. If I recall it was just a cube in the center while the MSP had an elongated enclosure.

i've actually never seen an mp3 sub enclosure before. like it's able to fit rear deck speakers + a subwoofer there too?

i've actually never seen an mp3 sub enclosure before. like it's able to fit rear deck speakers + a subwoofer there too?

i'll snap a picture for you. i saved my mp3 sub enclosure and it's in my p5 now but yes, rear deck speakers + sub is how the mp3 came.

i'll snap a picture for you. i saved my mp3 sub enclosure and it's in my p5 now but yes, rear deck speakers + sub is how the mp3 came.

hmm, maybe the mp3 sub box is a better option for me than the msp box, since that would mean i wouldn't have to relocate my rear deck speakers to the rear doors, which seems like a pain. but whats the largest size subwoofer i can fit in the mp3 sub enclosure?

it's a 10". it isn't a sub box, it's one of those tube enclosures. you could get something similar without hunting down an mp3 sub enclosure. if i were you, i wouldn't even bother relocating the rear deck speakers to the doors lol. seems way more trouble than it's worth

i forgot to take a picture for ya and it's dark now. i'll get one tomorrow.

IMG_2418-L.jpg

FullSizeRender-L.jpg

The brand and model is Kenwood KSC-WA100 if you were interested in looking up specs on it.

None of this OEM equipment is all that great or worth going out of your way to acquire. Speakers have a shelf life, especially cheap ones installed in cars. Just go to Crutchfield.com and order some new stuff. More speakers doesn't equal better though. A nice pair of components up front with a subwoofer in the rear is all you really need. Maybe some rear-fill in the doors or rear deck for passengers, but if you want good sound up front, you won't need them.

Back