Can I just replace 2 tires?

Alladin

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
I guess I got a bad alignment and noticed that the outsides of my front tires are almost gone. Being that I got layed off a few months ago I would only like to replace 2 tires for now. I have read different things on this subject and want to find any facts if possible.

If I can replace only 2, then can I just put on 245/40's on the rear till I can buy 2 more? And move the current ones up front of course.

not a good idea, and if they aren't the same size its a very bad idea. I think the tires have to be w/in 2-3tenths of an inch in diameter for the awd.

Nope. All have to be within same % diameter and width--no staggered sizes

That's probably not what you want to hear at this point, but the drive system is designed for exactly that. Anything else, and you will have major issues.

Mazda dealership told me that the tires need to be within 3/32nd's of an inch difference or the AWD will start fighting itself.

Promise you from my personal experience, u have to buy all 4. I wasnt told that buy the first company that installed just 2 for me. My car drove like s*** and my AWD light went crazy. I took it to mazda and they found nothing wrong....so hopefully thats the case...(this was after replacing all 4 wheels)

Back