Calling all cat-back owners.....

dave45090

Contributor
:
Mazda Protege 5
I just installed thunder header and magnaflow cat-back. I was surprised that the sound was much louder inside the car than I expected. I love the performance gain on top-end but hate the noise. After some investigating I found that there is an exhaust leak. I believe it is between the cat-back and mid-pipe. I bought from another member and it didn't come w/ a gasket for the mentioned connection. Do you think that is the reason it is loud inside the car? I am putting it on a rack tomorrow to check out further.

If you have an exhaust leak, then yes, you need the gasket and your car will be quieter.

what kind of "investigating" did you do before you concluded it was an exhaust leak? i just installed my RB catback a couple of weeks ago and inside the car is a bit louder than it used to be...so i'm trying to figure out if it's a problem or not

worker_robot said:
what kind of "investigating" did you do before you concluded it was an exhaust leak? i just installed my RB catback a couple of weeks ago and inside the car is a bit louder than it used to be...so i'm trying to figure out if it's a problem or not

not saying you don't have a leak, but the RB cat back will make your exhaust sound louder in the cab...

hey thanks for the posts guys - bazooka joe: it's definitely louder inside than stock, but i *think* i've noticed it's gotten louder in the past couple of days then it was when i first installed the RB catback 2 weekends ago....hence my concern. maybe i'll just come out to the NEPOC event and get the group's expert advice :D

When I did my truck's exhaust, I pulled out the interior and dynamatted the floor. That helped greatly! maybe worth a try?

Demoniam said:
When I did my truck's exhaust, I pulled out the interior and dynamatted the floor. That helped greatly! maybe worth a try?

I thought about doing that. Seems like it would help greatly.
I got under the car last night and there is a leak. It sounds like MAM is shipping out my mid-pipe in the next few days so I am going to ride it out until it arrives. The leak will be fixed when install mid-pipe, I am going to buy a new gasket to fit between mp and cb. Thanks for all the help guys.

worker_robot said:
hey thanks for the posts guys - bazooka joe: it's definitely louder inside than stock, but i *think* i've noticed it's gotten louder in the past couple of days then it was when i first installed the RB catback 2 weekends ago....hence my concern. maybe i'll just come out to the NEPOC event and get the group's expert advice :D

ya you should....you can hear mine too... of course i'm cat less so it's a bit louder...ya, yhis sunday, F1 and zoomzoom live's coming up in weymouth again....come on by!!

I believe the RB cat-back instructions say to re-tighten the bolts after a few hundred miles of driving. I noticed on mine that after it warmed up it got louder. Probably 'cause the heat made the pipes expand causing gaps at the joints. I re-tightened the bolts, and it seems to have helped keep the system as quiet as when it first starts up. Just keep in mind that the system is meant to be louder than stock. Not a lot louder, just more noticable.

Dave, when I bought my MAM catted midpipe it came with a gasket for the connection between the midpipe and the catback. So you probably wont need to go out and buy a new gasket.

As for the catback noise, at least on my 02 ES if I was at idle there was no distinction between stock and aftermarket. Once I punched the accelerator I noticed the difference, a very slight difference in sound not a lot, but since you have the Thunder header there may be a louder difference.

Huascar82 said:
Dave, when I bought my MAM catted midpipe it came with a gasket for the connection between the midpipe and the catback. So you probably wont need to go out and buy a new gasket.

As for the catback noise, at least on my 02 ES if I was at idle there was no distinction between stock and aftermarket. Once I punched the accelerator I noticed the difference, a very slight difference in sound not a lot, but since you have the Thunder header there may be a louder difference.

Great! I will wait until it comes in. Thanks for the response.(thumb)

Back