California Mp3 or P5--> Tri-point engineering Turbo

I'm in!
A turbo would be great, especially from a company that has experience racing/tuning Protege's. I would like to see it in bolt-on kit form. I think that would be what most of us are waiting for. The easy way to more HP!

ok, here's the most recent update:

Tri-Point is waiting for the turbo to come in so they can start taking a look at how it might fit in the engine. He said it's a variable vein turbo (i believe) so it should be able to get the car to higher speeds quicker even though there might be less hp. I think the turbo was from a company by the name of Aerodyne (sp?).

Anyhow, the guy said that the turbo might be a little bit tricky since there's not much room under the hood with all the required tubes and the placement of the catalytic. He also mentioned that he saw a turbo version that Mazda was working on and he said it was a very tight fit (yes, Mazda is working on a turbo version for later release - i have had this confirmed by another source as well - just not sure if it'll be called MP3). The price we're looking at is somewhere between 3.5k-4.5k depending on how complicated the fuel management system is. As for target performance, he said we're initially looking at 180hp, give or take some when they actually start tinkering. I mentioned that most of us are looking for 200+ hp and he said that it's possible, however, it could lead to an unstable engine.

The turbo is going to be coming in next week, but the guy is going on vacation so I was told the next time we'll talk is 1st week of January. By then he can should (hopefully!) be able to give me an update on the status of the turbo and whether the engine might be able to safely handle more than 180hp.

Questions, comments? let me know so I can get back to him the 1st week of January. like i said before, i'm not the greatest with cars, so i'm not disputing anything he told me. i'm just trying my best to pass along what i remember.

tony

Thanks for the update.
180HP seem a little too less for $3.5K . If Mazda is really working on a Turbo, the output should around that range too. I would rather to wait for the OEM turbo instead.
Keep us posted.
:eek:

it almost seems pointless to get a turbo system that only will take to 180 hp, and it will cost 3.5 - 4.5 grand, only to void our warrenty, that' not worth it for the little 40 hp gain, just putting my 2 cents in .

That's what I also think. I'll not go for a turbo if it doesn't give me something over 200hp min!!! :(

Why would a turbo void the warranty toolman??

Just asking becuase if Mazda is making a turbo Protege, there shouldn't be any problem...

Here's a list of stuff Tri-point currently has for our cars:
Stiffer Springs (30% stifer than stock, lowers car 1"-1.5") - $226
Carbon Fiber Hood - $475
Aluminum Flywheel - $389
High performance clutch - $329
Short throw shifter - $139
Koni single adjustable shocks (our Tokiko's are tuned but not adjustable) - $153

I'm definitely down for a turbo. I spoke with them this morning and they are developing one for our car, it just takes time and money.
Another thing, Tri-Point seems to be straight shooters. They don't try to BS you and give you false promises. That's just the impression I get. The guy was quick to point out that they are developing for the stock Protege as they look at the MP3 as a stock protege with a body kit and a few Racing Beat items and a nice stereo. Engine-wise the engine is basically stock! Which is, well, true!

Even if their turbo is at around 180hp it's not that bad of a deal. If you install the Jspec cams and pistons(10.5:1), the hp will most definately jump to, at or over 200hp. Then if this turbo manifold removes the first cat, there is a little more hp.But you are all right, $3500 is too much for only 40hp. I'd be willing to pay around $2500 to $3000 for 40hp though. Just my thoughts.

if i am going to get 40hp or any where near close to it ill be doing what nc_mp3 did...what he spend??? $1200!!!...that might not be 40 hp but it is close to it and alot less.....if anyone is even thinking about spending 3.5k for this turbo...i say u need to rethink your options and go wit CUSTOM..may be near the 5k mark but hey it will put u well over 200hp....just the logial way to do it...

Hell this damn kit seems way over priced. Do it yourself (custom) and you can save yourself a grand and get a real engine mangmnt system ie haltech, tec2 and have 220hp+ to the wheels!!

Back