Calibrating compass on rear view mirror

gen1pro

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
My compass on my rear view mirror is showing the wrong directions. Does anyone know how to calibrate or reset it so that it starts working correctly again?

You have to hold down the button that powers the compass on/off, it'll go into a learn mode, then drive around in a circle and it should reset.

You have to hold down the button that powers the compass on/off, it'll go into a learn mode, then drive around in a circle and it should reset.

I hope this is true otherwise I'm about to look like a real weirdo driving in circles.

Do I have to press the button again after I finish the circle. I noticed that it says "calc" when I hold it down.

I hope this is true otherwise I'm about to look like a real weirdo driving in circles.

Do I have to press the button again after I finish the circle. I noticed that it says "calc" when I hold it down.

No, you should just have to do one complete circle slow (5mph) and then it will be calibrated.

well if you know that it's going in the wrong direction it means you know which direction is the right way and you wouldn't need it?

Do people have issues with the compass calibration, needing to reset it frequently? I've had my car 3 months, and it's messed up again already.

Also, have they improved the mirrors at all? IE, if I get a new one, will I have the same problems I have with the current one. The auto-dim isn't exactly automatic at night, it has to register the headlights - it doesn't if the car is very close (in city traffic) or more than a quarter mile behind (on the highway). My brother-in-law has a GM truck which is just auto-dimmed at night, period.

Do people have issues with the compass calibration, needing to reset it frequently? I've had my car 3 months, and it's messed up again already.

Also, have they improved the mirrors at all? IE, if I get a new one, will I have the same problems I have with the current one. The auto-dim isn't exactly automatic at night, it has to register the headlights - it doesn't if the car is very close (in city traffic) or more than a quarter mile behind (on the highway). My brother-in-law has a GM truck which is just auto-dimmed at night, period.

I've only had to recalibrate mine once, and same with another car we have. As for it taking a second, the 'eye' has to sense a change in light intensity before it adjusts the cell behind the glass. If someone blinds you, it does take a split second to adjust.

As for it taking a second, the 'eye' has to sense a change in light intensity before it adjusts the cell behind the glass. If someone blinds you, it does take a split second to adjust.

I would say it takes more than a second. When I'm driving from stop light to stop light, it never seems to have time enough to recognize the lights. And on the highway, once someone drops about 1/4 mile behind you, it stops dimming - as additional cars drive into that 1/4 mile distance, it takes time to recognize again. It would make a whole lot more sense if it just dimmed everything once it was dark out.

I would say it takes more than a second. When I'm driving from stop light to stop light, it never seems to have time enough to recognize the lights. And on the highway, once someone drops about 1/4 mile behind you, it stops dimming - as additional cars drive into that 1/4 mile distance, it takes time to recognize again. It would make a whole lot more sense if it just dimmed everything once it was dark out.

Never seemed to notice it like that. I've used several that respond quickly to any sort of light, regardless of intensity and dim. You might have a short on yours, and it resets itself or something of that nature.

Never seemed to notice it like that. I've used several that respond quickly to any sort of light, regardless of intensity and dim. You might have a short on yours, and it resets itself or something of that nature.

hi there, i'm new to the Forum, actually I new to Mazdas.
i just got a used '03 Mazda6, and noticied among other things that my rearview mirror does not display anything, probably is not the right forum, need help on what/where to check first.

thanks

Back