CAI - weight savings??

MrsZR7

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I just installed an Injen cold air intake. I figure with all the parts I took off, fasteners no longer needed, and room left in the engine compartment, there must be some weight savings. Has anyone actually calculated it? From bone stock, what's the general consensus for MPG and HP differences?

The amount of stuff that was taken off will barely affect anything for weight...the intake will give u a few good HP gains for sure

Good! At this point, since I'm a single mother, and I'm hoping to keep this car for a long time, I was hoping to at least break even with the fuel economy. I figured that I'll be saving myself the trouble of replacing the OEM intake tube again in a few years if nothing else.

Want weight savings? Leave the kids at home...

It's not like you are building a track car, changing out light plastic parts for light aluminum parts will have Zero effect over the weight of a car.

Most people who are concerned about this sort of thing remove the spare tire or rear seats. They are in the order of hundreds of pounds of savings..

Last edited:
I am being "Nice"

The question was how much weight savings do I get, The answer is "None".

The suggestion was meant to let the OP understand that weight savings are irreverent to fuel economy until you start to take hundreds of pounds out of a car, taking 0,5 lbs out would equal having a coffee in the cup holder or not having a coffee in the cup holder. Driving with the user manual in the house rather than the glove box.

Well if nothing else, I enjoyed the learning experience of doing the work myself.

CAI do little to nothing anyway...OEM is just as good .

A CAI will do little to nothing if you don't do anything with the exhaust, header, etc. Yes, the air is colder. But increasing the volume of air going in doesn't really make a huge difference if you don't increase the volume of air going out as well

So really, a CAI is only marginally better if everything else is stock. It is significantly better when paired with a performance exhaust system

Last edited:
Love those guys. Sometimes I wish they went a little more in depth, or more scientific, but overall great show!

Definitely depends on the car, and if the car can take advantage of the extra air. Just like you were saying Bastian, some cars are going to need extra modifications to remove certain bottlenecks. On K&N's website it shows the Ford GT500 making 45+ extra horsepower with just their air intake system. I am assuming the stock air box was a massive bottleneck compared to the other parts on the car.

On K&N's website it shows the Ford GT500 making 45+ extra horsepower with just their air intake system. I am assuming the stock air box was a massive bottleneck compared to the other parts on the car.

This. With some cars, their stock intakes are already just about as efficient as they're going to get. Other cars, with less efficient stock intakes, will benefit from a higher flow intake.

At the end of the day the video was about the CAI making more power by it self that was a fail and as fair as putting on a header and exhaust making it produce more HP I don't see the connection.

Latest posts

Back