CAI/SRI Filter Condom

XK49

:
2003 P5 Yellow
Ok, I just installed my new K&N CAI. Actually, I only installed it as a SRI, but will do the final installation this weekend when I have the time to jack up the car and remove the inner wheel well stuff and run the additional tubing.

The kit came with this black cover for the filter which K&N says it acts as a water repellent for the filter. I like to refer to it as the "filter condom", but anyways, does anyone actually use these on the SRI and/or CAI installations?

Seems like it would restrict airflow??? All the pictures I've seen on this forum don't have the Filter condom on, at least on the SRI setups. Don't know about the CAI because I can't see into their fender wells.

i use it bc i have a CAI and no splash guard under the car... plus my car is lowered and due to the unusual weather Florida throws at me.... it's good to know that something is stopping it...
btw i have an Injen CAI and im using their HydroShield.... more likely the same thing your using...

It's just a pre-filter...and doesn't restrict flow enough to make a damn bit of difference on mostly stock FS-DE....There are greater flow restrictions in many other places....

I've got mine on my Cold Air setup...It helps keep the larger gunk from building up on the filter...I clean the cover about once a month, and clean the cone filter about every 6 months....Also, I have a cutout in the splash guard and wet-weather, so I think it is necessary to have it on most of the time....

You don't need it for SRI applications...

I have had the filter cover both off and on my K&N Typhoon CAI, and don't think it restricts airflow enough to make a difference. I lived in Florida for a year and think it probably saved me from engine hydrolock more than once... there was some crazy rain during the hurricane season, and on some roads water would constantly splash up in that area.

BTW, you don't have to jack up the car to get to the wheel well area (although it does make it easier). You just have to remove some screws from underneath that hold the splash guard in place, and also the plastic screws on the inside of the actual wheel well (turn your tires all the way to the right).
Anyway, you'll see what I mean (for the next time) once you jack up the car.

Back