c/s crankshaft pulley

By using a lighter pulley you gain the indicated advantages but it decreases the flywheel effect on the engine output which will make the power out pulse a bit more. It may increase the driveline wear a bit and make idle a bit rougher and easier to stall a MT clutch engagement, but you probably will not detect the effect...

If you consider the total mass of the flywheel and crankshaft, the reduction in weight of the new pulley will have an extremely small effect on the engines performance. This from experience with other engines. Mostly a Bling addition in my opinion. ed

By using a lighter pulley you gain the indicated advantages but it decreases the flywheel effect on the engine output which will make the power out pulse a bit more. It may increase the driveline wear a bit and make idle a bit rougher and easier to stall a MT clutch engagement, but you probably will not detect the effect...

This.

Most factory crank pulleys have "harmonic dampers" on them that help protect the crank shaft and various other moving parts of the engine that come into play with it's movement. IMO the risks out weigh the minimal gains from swapping it out.

Hmmmm....throttle response always spooled more quickly from my experience. Not sure on this low redline 4 banger. The harmonics shouldn't be a concern if you buy from a company that actually QA tests their products. It should be a smooth painless fit with Cocksport.

Last edited:
Hmmmm....throttle response always spooled more quickly from my experience. Not sure on this low redline 4 banger. The harmonics shouldn't be a concern if you buy from a company that actually QA tests their products. It should be a smooth painless fit with Cocksport.
Not to bag C/S because they have great customer service and I buy a lot of stuff from them, but it has not all ben smooth sailing. I can say when they have problems they rectify them. That being said I don't doubt the quality of the pulley itself, but I from what I gathered on lightweight pulleys (particularly pulleys that are not part of an entire set up) on different vehicles made it seems not worth it to me.
y

I haven't checked what the factory pulley looks like, but many factory ones have thick rubber inserts to help quell vibrations. It's not really a question of the quality of their machined aftermarket part, but that you are removing a factory component that helps the longevity of the engine and in return seeing minimal results.

Coming from the Subaru community, this was always one of the hotly debated topics. Some people ran them for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues, some would get random miss-fire codes, and others had catastrophic engine failures. Of course other factors could contribute to any one of those outcomes, but IMO why risk it over such minimal differences? To each their own though.

Is the Skyactiv motor internally balance or externally balanced? Is the stock pulley also a harmonic balancer too as others have already mentioned? If you don't know than don't mess with it. I know under drive pulleys can help but if it's not an under drive pulley than the cost to benefit ratio might not be noticeable to you or "worth it". Also 2.88 lbs is a lot of mass to be taken out of a small pulley that isn't also a harmonic balancer or has a counterweight.

Is the Skyactiv motor internally balance or externally balanced? Is the stock pulley also a harmonic balancer too as others have already mentioned? If you don't know than don't mess with it. I know under drive pulleys can help but if it's not an under drive pulley than the cost to benefit ratio might not be noticeable to you or "worth it". Also 2.88 lbs is a lot of mass to be taken out of a small pulley that isn't also a harmonic balancer or has a counterweight.
Wait you don't have that SHO anymore?

Latest posts

Back