C&D: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 vs. 2010 Volkswagen GTI - Comparison Tests

How can you compare the power of a TUNED GTi to the power of a STOCK MS3? That's like comparing an apple to a toaster.

A preference on style is pure opinion and like hineyholes, EVERYONE has an opinion.
Raw numbers are factual. There's little to no dispute when it comes to the performance numbers on stock car vs. stock car.

What could you do with a 23,000 MS3 and another 5,000 in goodies? (Which would equal the 28,000 you're suggesting the GTi would cost.)

When my wife and I were considering our recent purchase, we had (FINALLY!) narrowed down our search to two cars: the GTi and the MS3. We test drove the GTi a couple of times while we waited for the '10 MS3's to hit the dealership lots. When they finally arrived, we went out and test-drove the MS3. The difference was so ridiculously apparent, that we bought the MS3 on the spot.

YMMV

Because a stock MS3's power (and GTI with one tune) is the maximum amount of horsepower I want on a FWD/DD car. I've already put my money into my Evo for track business, so power is not the absolute goal.. As power is the MS3's most distinctive quality, I was just gauging responses from other owners for other qualities the car has, if both the GTI and the MS3 produced similar amounts of power.

Ehhh, there's no way the GTI could truly "win" in a comparison test like this. Bottom line, "car guys" test these cars, and "car guys" will ALWAYS prefer the car with the greatest performance... period. Apparently Volkswagen must be greasing everyone this time around. I'm sure if you asked any of the guys testing these cars which one they'd want to take home, they'd all pick the MS3... to me that means it won the comparison.

I'm sure the GTI has its strong points, I'm sure it's a good car for what it is. But, based on the reviews, if the GTI is truly that much behind the MS3 in the performance department, what "car guy" is going to want it? I just don't buy it. The MS3 overall is good enough that its performance advantage should put it WAY over the edge in such a comparison... and should win.

No offense to anyone, but the GTI strikes me more as a car for college girls or something... it's not a hotrod, it's not really a true car enthusiast's car. How can it be with such a lack of power / performance? Too bad VW didn't really pack some punch into this thing, it might have been a neat car. But then they probably would've bumped the price by a few more grand too.... and thus the MS3 would still have been a clear winner.

Well, to each his own, I can appreciate that performance is not the most important thing to all drivers, but, it certainly is to all the car enthusiast people I know. And right now, if you put 5 cars in front of me and asked me to test them all and choose one to keep, it would be a 99% chance that I'd choose the one with the greatest performance... UNLESS every other aspect truly sucked bad... but in the case of the MS3, all the other aspects of the car are NOT bad at all.... sure, some guys want to nit-pick about the red-dotted interior and less than stellar audio system, but that's just silly, if red dots on the seats bother you so much that you are willing to forfeit excellent thrilling performance, then you really are NOT a "car guy"... and are probably a college girl. (boobs2)

Definitely untrue - there's more to driving than outright speed - driving dynamics plays a huge part. I would take a M3 or a Lotus Evora, Porsche Cayman S over a Nissan GT-R all day.

However, if you're looking for outright speed, obviously the MS3 is the way to go.

I was in this position when I traded my Protege5 in 2007. I bought the GTI back then. It was a four door with DSG, leather, everything except navigation. I loved the car. Why did I get it over the MS3? Refinement, really. A plus was that my wife really wanted me to have something with an auto in case she needed to drive it, so I was willing to compensate because DSG is just that good of a transmission. Seeing that she's never driven anything I've owned I think I'll just make my own decision next time, haha. Though it'd be a tough choice to not get DSG again, honestly.

Well, to make a long story short a terrible VW dealership crashed my car while it was in for maintenance and they bought it back from me for a meh price. Sucks, but I can't blame VW for it. I'm not one to cut down a tree because it gave me a bad apple. All I can do is never go to that dealership again and tell everyone I know about my experience. Anyway, I'm in the situation again that I'll be picking up a new vehicle hopefully next year. There are a bunch of contenders on my list, and these two are at it again.

So I'll summarize what I can. Keep in mind this is on the PREVIOUS generation because I have yet to look at a new Mazdaspeed3.

In the end I bought it because the GTI felt far more refined. Granted, that's my opinion, but nobody is going to sway it. The base plaid seats in the GTI feel better. Go up to leather and you get even more bolstered European sport seats. Really, they were perfect. The steering wheel is amazing. If I could take that steering wheel with me to any car, I would. Oh, and after owning it and doing tons of highway driving, there were plenty of times where I could squeeze 32-34 miles per gallon out of the engine without doing crazy hypermiling stuff.

As for reliability and the VW brand since it's pretty notorious for things going wrong, I had one gremlin with the car at about 30k miles, and that situation ultimately ended up in me no longer owning it as I said above. Other than that, none of the horror stories about reliability that are all over the place. At the time my wife had an 07 Jetta with the 2.5 5-cyl, which we sold earlier this year. It never had any problems.

Ok back to the GTI and some downsides.. It was peppy. It was definitely a lot faster than my Protege5, so I was okay with the power it had. The Mazdaspeed3 is a lot faster though. A lot. I had planned getting a tune and sitting at around 280whp or so, which is pretty easily doable, but never ended up getting it done. Then you have to worry about voiding the warranty. I know a lot of dealerships don't care if you have a tune and basic bolt ons, but there are just as many that do care. Also, maintenance is expensive. I know, go to any dealership and maintenance is expensive, but this was nuts compared to my Protege. Keep in mind that this was the same dealership that I had my Protege serviced at since it was a VW/Mazda dealership. All of my oil changes minus one were free. Otherwise each would have run me about 80 bucks a pop for full synthetic plus the filter. I love the DSG, and I really would consider it again, but it has one huge hurdle. The maintenance on it, through the factory, is 800 dollars every 30k miles! Sure, I know, don't take it to the dealership and save a bunch of money, right? ECS tuning offers the oil and the tool to do it for three hundred bucks. For a transmission oil change. That's still no small chunk of change. If you already have the tool, it's about 140 bucks for just the oil and filter.

I'm not sure what I'll do honestly. I've driven a few cars on my list. Took a Hyundai Genesis Coupe out for a spin and have been on their boards since before the car came out so I've seen what's brewing in the pot for them too. It's very impressive (normally I'd never consider a Hyundai) and I like it a lot, but I'm thinking that due to another family member being on the way I'd be better off with a four door. Until just lately I wasn't even considering the Mazdaspeed3. I hated the way the front end looks. The more I look at it now though, the more it grows on me. I do think I lean towards the looks of a GTI a bit more, but I also think that I'd like to have a bit more power out of the box this time.

I do think that in the end the GTI and the Mazdaspeed3 are both great cars. They both have their merits and they both have their flaws. I think any car enthusiast could find plenty of reasons to be happy with either of them.

Sorry for such a long post, but I figured any extra information from someone who owned a GTI might be useful, since most of the time you're going to get a very biased reply from a specific-car-based forum.

definitely i agree - i don't consider the GTI a hot hatch - it's more like a GT hatch, that can nearly run with hot hatches, and can with a tune. the MS3 IS the better performance car for sure

The GTI is the original hot hatch. ;)

It can still hold its own. It's just not as fast as some of the competition.

Dethroned to a freakin' GTI????

Sorry, I have to vent. King for three years and a 200hp, 2-door takes the crown? Utter BS!!!!

I dislike GTIs.

Not because they're Volkswagens (They used to make killer RV mini-vans). But because media is calling it a better car. Can't wait to be back in the states to test drive one and find out for myself. I'm sick of picking up every car magazine at the PX and it reads GTI on the front cover. SICK OF IT!!!

At least C&D put the MS3 back on their annual top ten list!

Okay, I feel better now. Sorry MAZDA FORUMS. I had to express my anger non-violently. Everyone have a blessed New Years!

V.

The GTI is a bad assed car. It's down on HP but cars are much more than numbers on a sheet of paper.

yeah, it looks friggin sweet too. Plus build quality is higher than the Mazda and the new speed 3 is absolutely heinous. Inside and out.

Comparing new model for new model, I would take the GTI hands down any day of the week. And that's not just because I have a Passat. The new generation of 3's are ugly as hell in my opinion. Stack the new GTI up against the previous MS3 and it would be a much tougher decision for me.

I just wish the MS3 would become more mainstream. I've stopped buying magazines because every magazine these days is either M3, 240, GTR, GTI, ect. I would like to be able to buy a magazine that actually features an MS3 or a magazine that actually purchased an MS3 as a project vehicle.

I understand there have been a few articles (literally, about 3) but everyone seems to avoid our car like the plague. Perhaps the market for the MS3 would open up and it would become more popular and be able to make more power if we had some form of media back-up (I bet a magazine that bought an MS3 as a project car would find a way to make power pretty quick).

With that said, I do like maintaining the "sleeper" profile that accompanies the MS3. I guess I just wish it was less of a black sheep.

Not sure if any of this made sense. I am heavy medicated at the moment.

Back