Buzzing in steering wheel ?

jvarble

:
2002 mazda p5
Hello,,, New here and of course got a question.
my car is a 02 P5 and i'm getting a buzzing in the steering wheel and seems like gas petal.
this starts around 30 mph and increases with speed.
makes some howling noise when turning left in right front.
I'm assuming it's a wheel bearing, wanted to ask the experts if it could be something else also?
Thanks

Could be CV joint. Check to see if the rubber boot is torn where the axle meets the hub. Could be as simple as pickimng up some crud inside one of the wheels that has thrown off the wheel balance.

Already did what you said and it's not really a shake like a wheel out of balance , it is more like a hum or buzz you can feel it but the steering wheel is not shaking.
Any other thoughts??
Thanks
Joe

If you're new here, I'm assuming that you're new to your P5. Sometimes coins and such disappear in the plastic area under the ashtray. Buzzing sounds are odd, but I had a buzz once that came from coins stuck there. Bearings sound like grinding, and CV joints sound like clicking. Do you know how to check for these things? What have you checked so far?

... it is more like a hum or buzz you can feel it but the steering wheel is not shaking...

I made a video of my bad wheel bearing... It was a "hum" that was more audible steering one way than the other..

I don't know if that video is working... The Google and I don't get along very well...

Anyway... The "hum" or "buzz" kinda filled the cabin and I couldn't really pinpoint the source... The whole car would "hum"...

I had to lift the front end of the car and run it to find out what side was bad.

Last edited:
Protege motor mounts are also infamous for failing. Get moving, put it in 2nd gear and step on the gas, then ease up on the pedal. Does the shifter move?

UPDATE !
It was the carrier bearing that bolts to the block on the passengers side.
Thanks for the suggestions it helped track it down.
Joe

Latest posts

Back