Buying an '03 P5, what usually needs to be replaced at 94k miles?

jlynnmd

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I've been looking at getting a 2003 Protege5 with 94,390 miles on it for $4,985. I've heard Mazda's are great and run forever, so I'd really like to take great care of this vehicle.

What is recommended or usually replaced/fixed at 94k+ miles? I plan on getting it inspected before buying, but was curious to see what repairs I'm in for.

548430-1-large.jpg

548430-16-large.jpg

548430-29-large.jpg

Missing fuse box panel?

Timing belt/water pump is done at 90k, the intake tubes tear, the coilpacks and motor mounts will fail over time and check extensively for rust in case the car has ever left Georgia. The kick panel on the driver's side would be easy to locate and replace. If it's a 5 speed, even better. It will likely need some attention to the suspension like new swaybar bushings and endlinks. These are great cars, I have had excellent luck with both of my Proteges over the years and I drove them hard.

It was previously owned in Ohio, so I will be definitely checking for rust from salt. I don't mind doing the timing belt, water pump, and pulleys right away but I'm hoping that's all I have to worry about for a little bit, at least.

Timing belt/water pump is done at 90k, the intake tubes tear, the coilpacks and motor mounts will fail over time and check extensively for rust in case the car has ever left Georgia. The kick panel on the driver's side would be easy to locate and replace. If it's a 5 speed, even better. It will likely need some attention to the suspension like new swaybar bushings and endlinks. These are great cars, I have had excellent luck with both of my Proteges over the years and I drove them hard.

my protege 5 has been with my family since late 03 and has been a great car, just little things here and there. as mentioned above the air intake boot, and coil packs are the 2 main "non routine maintenance" issues these cars have i would check the timing belt and water pump are done or can be done for you, if it is a dealer. if not its not too bad to do yourself. i recommend ngk iridium ix spark plugs as well, they last up to 100,000 miles (12-30k for original copper) plus you dont have to gap them and they seem to help power and efficiency just ever so slightly. also mentioned above check the suspension, my oe struts lasted to about 145,000 miles but many may not make it that long. bushings and mounts will be worn just due to age. you also should check the feel of the clutch if it is a 5 speed. if its heavy, its failing, if light your good.

Back