Buying a Mazdaspeed Miata

arexsvn

I've been looking into buying a Mazdaspeed Miata the past few weeks, and have had the opportunity to test drive a few. One of the deals I've found almost seems too good to be true : 12,888 for a 2004 with 49,000 miles. The thing is, when driving it it seems noticeably less responsive than another one I'm looking at (11,000 miles for 19k). Obviously 40k more miles will make a pretty big difference on the overall feel of a car, but I'm just trying to deduce if the cheaper one has been beaten on, or if its performance is expected for 49k miles. The main difference is in acceleration...the turbo seems noisier than it should, and the big push of acceleration at 4500k isn't as noticeable. After driving it on the highway the noise and power did improve a bit, but the one with 11k miles seemed fine right off the lot. I also noticed more noise at idle.
Does anyone with a MSM with decent miles on it experience less 'smoothness' in operation and responsiveness in power? I feel like with 49k miles it should still feel almost new (assuming its been taken care of) but maybe its just normal wear.

I feel like with 49k miles it should still feel almost new (assuming its been taken care of).

I agree. Imagine what the *cheap* on will be with another 50k on the clock. Sounds like she's had a rough life.

The MSM should have the same power delivery regardless if it's 11k or 49k miles.

unless it's been beat to hell and the turbo is shot...

It didn't seem totally gone but definitely noisier than the car with 11k. It reminded me of my 94 rx-7 when it got to about 140k...still had power but there was a noticeable delay in power delivery...I actually made it to 170k without a turbo rebuild, so I gotta wonder what was done to this car. It's really too bad because the seller is only a mile away and its a great price...ah well.

I own a MSM and I would check the mods. in both cars ..A change in the air intake or Down pipe would change the sound and speed and spool up of the turbo of a MSM..I have 4k in up grades and its pretty easy to turn the car into a speed demon..
2 things you deffinetly need to do to a MSM once you get it is to change the Air intake if stock and the DP. Flyin Miata or Begi both build them..

the intake by itself isn't a huge upgrade; you'll see approx 11-12 hp. Your best bang for the buck is a full exhaust and some form of boost control up to about 10 lbs of boost. Beyond 10 lbs, you'll have to do the resistor mod to bypass the stock boost cut.

25-30 rwhp on the full exhaust, a few more hp if you go catless
going from 7 to 10 lbs of boost should yield about 18-20 rwhp.

is it possible there is simply an air leak on the Cheap one? That would attribute to both noisyness and loss of power.

Back