Building my own AUX input

When I first bought my P5, I got a Pioneer head unit just because the stock HU didn't have an aux input. The thing is, I really like the stock head unit, it looks good and has nice big controls that are easy to use without having to take my eyes off the road.

I was bored a couple days ago and starting trying to figure out how I could make an aux input that would at least allow me to play music through the MD/Tape input (no fancy ipod integration for now). I found this guy's documentation about the bus protocol and I was able to build a decoder to get raw data off the bus.

I'd like to know if anyone has some captures of tape deck's initialization, I know how the CD player does it, I just need to know what codes the tape deck sends back to the HU. If no one has that data, I'd gladly pay for shipping to borrow a tape deck (or I'll buy it off you if you don't want it back).

My intentions are to publish all source code and schematics once I have something working so anyone with a soldering iron and some free time can build their own aux input. For the time being, I'll leave you with the source code for my decoder and a human-readable transcript of the radio's initialization sequence. If you need a schematic for the little circuit I had to build, I'll whip something up :)

TL;DR: If you have a tape deck that's compatible with an 02 P5 head unit, I'd like to borrow/buy it.

EDIT: I've got a tape deck in the mail, hopefully it'll arrive this week.

Last edited:
I did a little more work today, specifically on the decoder. It works a lot better now and makes reading data from the head unit super easy. I was even able to fill in the data that I thought was "garbage". I also disconnected the CD player to see what the difference is (spoiler: the bus is pretty quiet :p).

Here's the latest:

More progress, I talked to the radio! Here's a transcript where I was able to spoof the CD deck's "powered on" message (the CD deck is unplugged):

Code:
1280802498.920487 38C0 4 <-- The radio asks if the CD deck is present
1280802498.920566 B813 0 <-- This is me, I say it is :D
1280802498.920602 0890 4
1280802498.920636 18A0 4
1280802498.920668 68F0 4
1280802498.920701 58E0 4
1280802498.920734 7800 4
1280802498.920767 39B0 4 <-- The radio responds here with a "Wake up" message

I think that's all for tonight :)

After doing more analysis of the timing of the pulses I'm now able to send proper messages back to the radio.

Mazda CD players are so vulgar:
BLho8.jpg

Maybe it's pissed off because the CD deck isn't connected :D
ZDlzH.jpg

EDIT: I should probably clarify that this means I have a working AUX input, it just happens to replace the CD player (which isn't what we want). Now I have to wait to get my tape player...

Last edited:
I got my tape player yesterday (had to go pick it up in the US, the border guard laughed at me for crossing the border to buy a tape deck :D).

Today I documented the tape deck's commands and worked on my decoder. A few minutes ago I was finally able to trick the head unit into thinking the tape deck is plugged in, I just have to clean up the code and add some missing functionality (my code doesn't yet respond to rewind/fast-forward messages).

I also started a wiki page to document the protocol which can be found here: http://nikosapi.org/wiki/index.php/Mazda_Radio

Anyone can edit it, so if you spot a mistake feel free to fix it!

It works!

I'm actually sitting in my car right now listening to my ipod through the stock head unit!

Really crappy pic of how it's currently set up:
53jin.jpg

A pic of the little circuit that makes it all happen:
HlXKe.jpg

I didn't have any spare connectors for the tape input on the head unit so I had to solder the wires to the HU:
NEQOQ.jpg

I'm trying to source some connectors atm but it doesn't look too promising... I'll get the source code and schematics out asap.

What's taking me so long?

4YgXf.jpg

iPod integration FTW :D

It actually works quite well, if only I had some good iPod dock connectors it would be awesome. Source code coming soon, I promise!

for like $80... gromaudio makes one that plugs right into the cd charger port and charges the ipod and works the same way.

good job man... props to you. (serious)

for like $80... gromaudio makes one that plugs right into the cd charger port and charges the ipod and works the same way.

Where's the fun in that? :p

I probably spent $50 to make my own, but that's only because I had to buy a tape deck. Now if I had to buy all the parts and make one it would cost about $20.

there is no fun.

If i knew how i would have done the same thing.

Its the same reason why I would rather build an engine then buy it...

its more fun and rewarding then opening a box and plugging it in.

isn't there a mod that just requires some wiring to the plug, no controller board, etc... or is that for newer head units?

I have a 2007 MAzda 5, and was about to buy a GROM aux input when I found someone mention that I could do it for about $5 worth of parts. I'm searching for more detailed info on this, and found this instead. Are we dealing with a totally different unit?

isn't there a mod that just requires some wiring to the plug, no controller board, etc... or is that for newer head units?

I have a 2007 MAzda 5, and was about to buy a GROM aux input when I found someone mention that I could do it for about $5 worth of parts. I'm searching for more detailed info on this, and found this instead. Are we dealing with a totally different unit?

Yea, this probably isn't what you're looking for. I recall seeing a howto (I think is was on some RX-8 forum) showing how you can get an audio input by adding a couple jumper wires to the rear aux connector. Can't find it atm but I think what you're describing is possible on newer head units.

Back