Bucking @ 3000 rpms under acceleration FIXED!!!!!!!

mikkim129

:
mazda protege 5
Here is the old post.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123837379-Bucking-3000-rpms-under-acceleration

Thought I would pass it on to those who said they had similar problems.

Car would buck/jerk at 3000rpms when it was warm.

Replaced plugs, wires, and coil packs and helped but did not fix the bucking.
Cleaned map? in intake and no help.

Later the car started making a knocking/ rattle and the problem got a little worse.
The knock was on the passenger side of the engine.

Checked vavle clearance and 3 valves were .001 too much. Book said .009-.011. 2 were at .012 and one at .013. Talked with a fer mechanic friends and they said
that shouldn't make a loud knock/rattle.

I noticed the cam marks "I" & "E" were not prefect and the timing belt seemed sorta loose.
Tore it apart and found the
-tensioner spring was elongated.
-tensioner pulley had a very very slight wobble and when I shook it I could hear the ball bearings were loose. ( i guess you can simply replace the tensioner bearing cheaply but the pad that the retainer bolt sits on was worn) replaced both tensioner pulley and idler pulley and spring (all in 1 kit from autozone)
- replaced timing belt and correctly set all marks.
-timing cover was completely worn through ( looks like the water pump pulley was rubbing)

Fired it up and knock/rattle was gone
Could not get it to buck after it warmed up.

Hope this helps those who had the same problem

I replaced the belt 5 years ago. 2 trips from CA to VA plus 30k miles.
The tensioner probably came from the factory.
5 years ago I though I should have changed the tensioner spring but couldn't find 1 at the time

I think if your car is due for a T-Belt you should buy the complete kit then find a mechanic to do it if you can't do it yourself.

Latest posts

Back