BSM Off flashing icon

Sharkycsi

:
2014 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring with Tech Package
Has anyone else had problems with their "BSM" system. Mine does not work and I am out of my warranty period. I recently change tires and rims from 19 inch to 17 inch. A question for you Mazda mechanics out there; will the different tire size make a difference to the "BSM" system? Thanks.

If you use 225/65-17 tires you should not have any issues after you switched from 19" tires, especially on BSM. Have you tried to push the BSM button resetting it? Do you keep your rear side bumper area clean? Is it possible one of the two rear BSM radar sensors got damaged during tire replacement?

Thank you guys for your responses! My new tire size is 235/65/17. I have checked two fuse boxes, one underneath the hood and one on the driver's side kick panel. I did not see anything on the panels that said anything about a "BSM" fuse. I disconnected the battery for approximately 5 minutes and then re-attached the battery. I started the car and both mirrors displayed the "BSM" car indicator lights for approximately 15 to 20 seconds and went off and the "BSM Off" warning started flashing on the dashboard. I have tried pushing the "BSM" button and holding it to no avail. Also, the car has been washed and is clean underneath the sensor areas. I feel something major is wrong with the system, which is very discouraging for a vehicle with 43,000 miles on it. Thanks again everyone.

Your 235/65-17 tires are a little bigger than factory spec and they throw away the accuracy of car speed data which affects many computer calculations.

Yeah it's unfortunate you have BSM issue without warranty coverage. Here is some document I found for CX-9 BSM but our CX-5 BSM system should be similar. You can follow the steps and see if you can find your culprit in your BSM system. Good luck!

There is one thing just caught my eyes though: "Malfunction in ABS wheel speed sensor related parts". Did your BSM OFF light start flashing right after you replaced your bigger-sized tires? If it did, then it might worth a try to put back your original factory tries or correct-sized tires and see. It seems the tire size does matter to BSM system.

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring: BSM

BSM indicator light flashes while not under BSM indicator light-flashing conditions (no combination switch operation (turn signal switch)

DESCRIPTION
The BSM indicator light flashes despite not satisfying the BSM indicator light flashing conditions (vehicle speed above 20 mph (32 km/h), turn signal on, and vehicle in warning zone)
The BSM indicator light flashes, but the turn signals are off.

Possible Causes
NOTE: This malfunction symptom is basically the same as symptom "No.4 BSM indicator light while not under BSM indicator light-illumination conditions".

• BSM control module recognizes a vehicle as being inside the warning zone when it is actually outside of it.
  • Radar (BSM control module integrated) is emitted outside of warning zone (deviates from warning zone)
  • Damage, deformity or looseness to installation bracket or vehicle frame (including moderate impacts)
  • Malfunction in steering angle signal (communication error between BCM and BSM control module, or steering angle sensor malfunction)
  • Problem with rear bumper such as soiling to radar emitting/receiving area, application of stickers (including transparent types), repairs using putty application.
  • After-market electrical parts interfere with BSM system
  • BSM does not recognize vehicle speed correctly (BSM control module mistakenly recognizes vehicle speed as being above 20 mph (32 km/h)
  • PCM communication error with BSM control module
  • Malfunction in ABS wheel speed sensor related parts
  • BSM control module mistakenly recognizes that turn signals have been operated
  • Short to ground circuit in wiring harness between combination switch (turn signal switch) and BCM
  • Communication error between BCM and BSM control module
  • BSM control module malfunction

Thanks yrwei52 for your response. I will check those possible causes that you have posted. I will put my factory rims back on when my 17 inch tires wear out. The "BSM" problems did start after I replaced the factory size tires with the 17 inch rims. it came on initially then rest itself. the second time that it came on it stayed on. I believe hopefully that will be the problem. All of you guys are great at responding on this forum. Thanks again for your help.

If you have done everything in your power to attempt to fix it and you have not, I would bite the bullet and go into the dealer and pay for diagnostics (about and hr. Labor for $60-90). It's possible it could as simple as a sensor unplugged or loose ground contact that they should fix on the fly.

If you have done everything in your power to attempt to fix it and you have not, I would bite the bullet and go into the dealer and pay for diagnostics (about and hr. Labor for $60-90). It's possible it could as simple as a sensor unplugged or loose ground contact that they should fix on the fly.
Ha I'd not trust dealers who are capable of fixing this kind of problems. (whistle)

Seriously, Mazda dealer does have factory computer to read out the codes from BSM, and they shoud be able to fix it with a stiff price. But one time my BMW dealer couldn't even re-program a replacement key fob with all the BMW computers and BMW USA tech supports! Finally I bought a shop manual and re-programmed it by myself!

I don't know why the OP can't just put the original 19" rims back and see. Or ask the tire company to put correct-sized tires on his 17" rims. That might resolve his issue right away.

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses. I replaced the factory tires and rims and unplugged the battery for a couple of minutes. This did not resolve the problem. However, driving it over to the KIA dealership and trading it in for a new KIA Optima SX Turbo did take care of the problem. There is no comparison between the two vehicles. WOW! What a big improvement. Thanks for your help and take care.

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses. I replaced the factory tires and rims and unplugged the battery for a couple of minutes. This did not resolve the problem. However, driving it over to the KIA dealership and trading it in for a new KIA Optima SX Turbo did take care of the problem. There is no comparison between the two vehicles. WOW! What a big improvement. Thanks for your help and take care.

I had a Kia with the turbo GDI motor a few years ago as a rental. It impressed the hell out of me for the price/what it was.

Why did you have an SUV anyway, though, when a car would have worked fine? I do not understand why people buy SUV's when cars will work.

We purchased it initially because we live in the country and placed our cooler in the back when we purchased groceries. We also have a Toyota 4 runner that will take the Mazda's place in that regard. To be fair minded, the Mazda really did work for us for three years, but I don't regret trading it in. I hope whoever purchase the vehicle will be blessed with it.

We purchased it initially because we live in the country and placed our cooler in the back when we purchased groceries. We also have a Toyota 4 runner that will take the Mazda's place in that regard. To be fair minded, the Mazda really did work for us for three years, but I don't regret trading it in. I hope whoever purchase the vehicle will be blessed with it.

I guess my position is that I've always owned sports cars, and I bought an SUV because I moved to an area with snow, friends (I hated the town I moved from, and all my friends got out of that hellhole before me, so really, I only needed 1 seat in a vehicle), and a desire to haul stuff (camping gear). That is why I went SUV. I originally had a Jeep with a HEMI, because it wasn't completely limp-wristed and boring, and I loved the hell out of that thing! Except it broke. All. The. Damn. Time. So enter CX-5. But honestly, if I did not need an SUV for my lifestyle/location, I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. I guess that's why I am so confused about people who trade an SUV in for a car, or a car for an SUV, and haven't made any life changes. Totally understand your rationale, though!

I guess my position is that I've always owned sports cars, and I bought an SUV because I moved to an area with snow, friends (I hated the town I moved from, and all my friends got out of that hellhole before me, so really, I only needed 1 seat in a vehicle), and a desire to haul stuff (camping gear). That is why I went SUV. I originally had a Jeep with a HEMI, because it wasn't completely limp-wristed and boring, and I loved the hell out of that thing! Except it broke. All. The. Damn. Time. So enter CX-5. But honestly, if I did not need an SUV for my lifestyle/location, I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. I guess that's why I am so confused about people who trade an SUV in for a car, or a car for an SUV, and haven't made any life changes. Totally understand your rationale, though!

LOL! I can see where your CX-5 would be a lot more dependable than your Jeep with the HEMI in it. I could vision you working on that thing on your weekends.

In a case like this (I know the owner traded the Mazda) even out of warranty, I would ask Mazda service for revision and I would try to press for a free repair.

BSM is not a critical system, but a exclusive safety feature that persuade to buy this car over any other option in the market.

It would be very bad reputation and corporate image for Mazda to refuse to respond to an issue like this, on a car with very low mileage.

I've seen other brands in my country that had responded out of warranty even for faulty LED brake lights. As a matter of fact, my mother's BMW had this failure and the dealer changed the LED, even one entire year after the warranty expired (not without a very little previous complain about the car's reliability).

Regards.

Last edited:
If this system fails on me 10 years out... I will be pulling the dashboard out to unplug the BSM light bulb. :)

In a case like this (I know the owner traded the Mazda) even out of warranty, I would ask Mazda service for revision and I would try to press for a free repair.

BSM is not a critical system, but a exclusive safety feature that persuade to buy this car over any other option in the market.

It would be very bad reputation and corporate image for Mazda to refuse to respond to an issue like this, on a car with very low mileage.

I've seen other brands in my country that had responded out of warranty even for faulty LED brake lights. As a matter of fact, my mother's BMW had this failure and the dealer changed the LED, even one entire year after the warranty expired (not without a very little previous complain about the car's reliability).
Ha good luck on that getting a good-will gesture for free repair from Mazda North American Operations when you have problems after warranty has expired. In fact, this applies to any car companies. We had a water pump failure on our BMW 528i at 28K miles right after 5-year/50K-mile new car warranty expired, BMW USA refused to do anything on it. Our VW Passat burns a quart of oil per 800~1K miles since new, and VW of America refused to do anything with all kind of excuses even though the car is under warranty! The final "good-will gesture" offered by VWoA was we'd to pay $500 replacing all the emission hoses (what do these hoses have anything to do with oil burning?) as these are "wear-and-tear" items not covered under new car warranty, then VW was willing to do further diagnosis to figure out the oil-burning issue! Even the service manage was sympathetic and told me he was sorry VWoA treated us this way! Of course after bought 3 new VW's, we'd never buy another VW or Audi!

Yeah, I'd do the same like Kedis82ZE8 suggested as these radar sensors are expensive.

Soooo... seems my 2012 CX9 GT AWD has been afflicted with this BSM module issue as well. My usual mech couldn't figure it out so I bit the bullet and went to a dealer (Ont, Canada) who diagnosed and wanted $3000 to replace the radar modules. They were apparently messing with the BCM causing the dash to go crazy as well. Anyway, I told him to just unplug the radar modules and I will live with the flashing BSM OFF light.

Well, trying to trade the car in with a flashing light doesn't get a positive valuation so I'm thinking of getting a couple of these modules myself from a wrecker for a fraction of the $3000 quoted and replacing them myself. Anyone do this before? I saw the justanswer post with a summary, but wanted to know if anyone here actually did the work themselves and could share their experience?

Goal: Trade in the car with no trouble codes.

Back