bs speeding ticket today...

nebo

SO...
i go to pick up my friend so we can price a computer and doing it over im was a pain. we're coming back to my house through some back roads, speeding, but not too fast. the road was windy and blind. we crest a hill while coming around a bend and pass this cop going the other direction. i'm thinking "great... just what i need." and sure enough, he turns on his lights, takes his lovely time getting turned around, and comes after me. knowing the road is too long to out run him, i pull over and wait.
he walks up beside the car, doesn't even come all the way to my window, and waits for me to give him my stuff. he says, "is there a reason you were going that fast? i am going to issue you a summonse rather than arrest you, which i could do. criminal speeding is 30 over."
i reply, "i know i was going a little fast, but i wasn't going 70" (thinking the limit was 40."
he says, "no, speed limit is 35 and you were going 65." so i'm thinking "whatever" and let him go do his stuff while waiting. i look in the rear view and see a civilian in the passenger seat (he's just showing off).
and then when he finally comes back, he gives me my ticket and explains the whole shebang. and guess what? the ticket sayshe clocked me at 60... now here's the mystery:
why'd he say 65 first?
if i was going 60 around the bend on that hill, i would have a) had to have been in his lane, or b) careened off my side of the road.
he had about a second to get his radar to shoot me before i passed him and was around the bend, out of his sights... pretty quick reflexes on his part.
so yeah, i'm going to court for this one. hoping i'll get the time off to do it... let me know if you have any suggestions on how to do this whole court thing, other than what i've described here.

make sure you request the radar reading,when the radar gun was last calibrated and if you summons the officer there you can question ........... if you dont request anything you pretty much loose!!!

You just admitted you were speeding, yet you want to fight the ticket? If you request the radar reading, that will prove you were speeding, so thats no good. If he said you were doing 65, and wrote the ticket for 60, then more than likely he was giving you a small break. I would just pay the ticket and move on. Take it from someone who has been in court many times for speeding and moving violations.:D The judge has the power to raise a fine if he feels you have wasted his court time.

Oh, and also, most modern cruisers have fixed radar guns and automatically calibrate themselves to the cruisers speed. So he didnt have to target you, you were already in the scopes as soon as you passed him.

Last edited:
Back