Bronzoil bushings stuck!

DrummerJim50

:
2006 Acura RSX Type S
I installed Bronzoil bushings and a B&M in my car a few months back. I've had a problem keeping the bolt tight - the one that connects the bottom of the shifter to the rod - so it starts rattling, and if it gets too loose it starts squeeking a little when I shift. It started rattling again last week, so I was going to take out the bushings and clean them up (looks like it started corroding a little), put some grease on them, and put it back together and secure the nut with loctite. I put it up on the lift and unscrewed the nut but the bolt that goes through the bushings and shifter won't come out. I used some pliers to pull it, squeeze it, used some WD40, banged on it as much as I could, but it was no use. Anyone else had this problem?? It's not life or death, but I'd like to be able to take it apart if I want/need to.

how about a c clamp to work it out a little by bracing it on the bolt and the shifter and tightening it.

Using the c-clamp method and put a deep socket on the other end so you can "press" it out. Is it binding on anything? And unneeded pressure or something?

I can turn the bolt with little resistance, but it just won't slide out. Doesn't look like it's binding on anything......I don't know what it would bind on anyways. I'll have to try the c-clamp thing.

When I was watching mine get installed, the shop people had to use a little hammer to get the shifter linkage bolt through the bronzeoil bushings. They said that the clearance (bronzeoil bushings) was a lot tighter than the stock pieces it replaced. So...i guess it required a little more force.

I had mine in for about 2000 miles, and the nut hasn't backed off yet. No lock tight either (Hope it doesn't fall off).

I used some 300 grit sandpaper to sand the shoulder of the bolt down when I was putting mine in.If you initially had to use a great deal of force (hammer or otherwise) to get the bolt to slip through, you installed them incorrectly. Corksport even suggests that you should have "sanded" or polished down those mating surfaces (both on the bolt and bushings as necessary). The bolt should have slipped through with nothing more than a *slight* bit of force by hand.

I'm not sure why you're trying to clean them up. They're bronzoil, they shouldn't corrode at all.

Sucks that the bolt is binded in for you though. I agree about using a press method to get it out somehow...good luck.

Last edited:
When I installed them I did have to sand them down a little and everything went together good....I didn't need to use a lot of force to get the bolt through. I know they are self-lubricating but I figured I would try to clean all the salt off them (michigan winters suck) while I was getting that bolt to stay tight.

I actually just said screw trying to take it apart and tightened the bolt with some loctite so it wouldn't loosen again.....everything is good now.....I'll deal with getting that bolt out if I ever need to take it apart in the future.

Dimitrios said:
If you initially had to use a great deal of force (hammer or otherwise) to get the bolt to slip through, you installed them incorrectly.

Not really any force at all, It was like (tap, tap, tap) is it lined up? ok...(tap, tap , tap) Happy Gilmore "Just tap it in, just tap it in, just give it a little tap tap" lol

It wasn't like HEY GET THE BFH hammer and TAP, TAP

Back