Brembo

I loved the axis ultimates as well. Can't beat the price and performance. The stoptech pads are at least as good as the ultimates. From my past experiences, my favorites are ferrodo>stoptech>axis. None are available for our car yet, but thats OK with me since I love the stock brakes and have not overheated them yet.

As for rotors, I've heard good things about centric. Honestly the only thing worth spending more on would be cryo'd rotors since they should last longer, but I've yet to try them.

Also, if you need performance pads then you should be putting in high temp fluid as well. I've used ATE and Motul with good results.

I will try to be brief about the Sonic. Overall I like it. Definitely quiet and comfortable car. You can also get 40MPG out of it if you want. Stock it handles kinda goofy because the rear is so soft it never feels like it takes a set. Stock it is also faster than the 2 in a straight line, but not by as much as you think. Up to 90 I was only slower by about 2 car lengths. Interior is really nice as well. Weight is 2700 with half a tank.

It also has a lot of potential. The car I work with has a set of coilovers in it and a rear stiffener. It handles really well now. We did a bunch of brake testing and your usual after market stuff is way better than the stock brakes. The rear drums are huge which is great. If you take the ABS fuse out the rear locks up way before the front, kinda strange for an OE setup. The biggest thing is the potential of the engine. This one is a 1.4T and with a tune, intake, and cat back it put down 165WHP and 220WTQ. It is kinda strange though because the turbo is so small all of the power is low down. We looked at the optimal shift RPM and it is at 4500 when it will rev to 6500. It is nice, but you have to get used to it. You also get wheel spin everywhere.

Overall I like it, but I still like my 2 more just because of how it feels to drive just like any other Mazda. That being said the Sonic is still a really good car. If you want to know anything more just send me a PM. I don't want to de-rail the thread too much.

Porterfields, eh? I'll look into them. I'm just trying to find se products located in Canada so I don't have to pay the border fees and high shipping rates associated with ordering states side.... Although the States seems to have all the performance upgrades that I want.

easy way around that get a shipping address across the line and have everything sent there..i use package express but there is many different companies doing same thing ..like a p/o box but not as its not the post office and they receive goods all day up to 8 ft skid usually about a 4 dollar charge..i have saved thousands buying in the states and most companies ship free to lower 48 so more savings.plus if its under 200.00 you probably wont have to pay taxes.i usually save between 30-50% when you factor in shipping cost and taxes.
example i just purchased a set of speakers that are $1699.00 a pair up here i paid from the factory $750.00 shipped plus taxes.

Last edited:
Well I am going to buy the stock rotors, but I ordered some Hawk HPS pads, and stainless lines, and a dog bone from Goodwin.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back