Breakthrough battery could boost electric cars

TinmanMS6

:
2012 Subaru WRX
Toshiba promises 'energy solution' with nearly full recharge in 5 minutes

TOKYO - A new battery that can be recharged to 90 percent capacity in under five minutes and lasts 10 years will start shipping in March, Toshiba Corp. announced this week, hailing it as "a new energy solution" for cleaner transportation.

Toshiba plans to initially make the quick-charging Super Charge ion Battery for electric bikes, forklifts, construction machinery and other industrial use. It can work in temperatures as low as minus 22 degrees Fahrenheit.

A newcomer in rechargeable batteries, Toshiba said the lithium-ion battery could be used in hybrid and electric cars by 2010, Mochida said

Battery innovations are expected to be key in making hybrid vehicles more widespread, because lighter and easier-to-recharge batteries will improve efficiency. They could also spark mass-produced plug-in hybrids and and even resurrect the idea of all-electric vehicles that use no fossil fuel.

"This is a truly innovative battery," said Toshiba Corporate Vice President Toshiharu Watanabe, emphasizing its potential "in the electronic vehicles markets as a new energy solution."

Most lithium-ion batteries in use now, such as those in laptop computers, require hours to recharge to full capacity, with the fastest ones requiring about half an hour.

Toshiba also said its new battery, which is estimated to last 5,000 charges, is unlikely to rupture or catch fire, problems that have beset some lithium-ion batteries used in laptops.

The Tokyo-based electronics maker expects global sales of the new fast-charging battery to reach nearly $900 million by fiscal 2015.

Only lasts 5,000 charges...

So your electric car would need a new battery after 100k miles (assuming 200mi/charge and assuming you only charge when the battery is completely dead)

They need to work on that.

Last edited:
Why?

At 100K, a typical car goes through thousands of dollars of service and repair, even the most durable cars. An electric car is very simple, so it should have virtually zero maintenance I'd imagine. So at 90-100K miles or so, you'll need to replace the battery (which by then there will be newer, cooler technology anyway) but that would be about all you replaced. Not bad!

Really this is a very cool innovation.

I think the future of batteries lies in the new "virus" types that were invented. Read up on that, and you'll probably be amazed.

That, and the new plastic solar cells. You can make a roof out of them and charge those special batteries all day.

So your electric car would need a new battery after 100k miles (assuming 200mi/charge and assuming you only charge when the battery is completely)

At 100K, a typical car goes through thousands of dollars of service and repair, even the most durable cars.

I just sold a Civic Si with 113k miles and the only thing that ever went wrong on it was a midpipe rusted out from 7 years of Wisconsin winters. A car shouldn't need major repairs before 100k.

I agree, though, that 100k is plenty far enough for these batteries. I don't think Prius batteries go too much farther than that now.

I agree, though, that 100k is plenty far enough for these batteries. I don't think Prius batteries go too much farther than that now.

Right, but 100k is really best case scenario. If you charge it every night 100 miles, it could be kaput in 50k miles.

Keep in mind that this is a start. Battery technology will only improve. We have to start somewhere. Batteries in cars only shifts the CO2 emissions somewhere else, but at least with such technology in cars, people will stop blaming cars for all of the environmental issues we face (when in reality, cars worldwide only account for 18% of global warming gas emissions).

The CO-2 emissions issue is interesting because an electric car is far more efficient then a gasoline car, given a specific amount of potential energy.

A powerplant producing power to your house to charge is probably waaay more efficient then your 4 cyl engines.

Side note: Don't know if you guys saw it, but there is a company out there that is making high-horsepower lightweight electric sports cars, and this technology would help them greatly. Further, I think the new plastic solar cells will REALLY help, since they are cheap, durable, and can be molded to fit a shape. Like a trunk, or a hood. This might give you 3X the range, if not untether you entirely from the power plug.

The CO-2 emissions issue is interesting because an electric car is far more efficient then a gasoline car, given a specific amount of potential energy.

A powerplant producing power to your house to charge is probably waaay more efficient then your 4 cyl engines.

Side note: Don't know if you guys saw it, but there is a company out there that is making high-horsepower lightweight electric sports cars, and this technology would help them greatly. Further, I think the new plastic solar cells will REALLY help, since they are cheap, durable, and can be molded to fit a shape. Like a trunk, or a hood. This might give you 3X the range, if not untether you entirely from the power plug.

That is true, but the 18% figure I quoted takes that into account. The single biggest contributor to global warming gas emissions is the beef industry. The energy used produces much CO2, and the cow farts produce much more methane than would normally exist if "natural" cattle levels existed. So, if you really want to make a big impact on global warming, don't eat mass produced beef.

Are you referring to Tesla?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123691288

So your electric car would need a new battery after 100k miles (assuming 200mi/charge and assuming you only charge when the battery is completely dead)

i remember reading somewhere that in japan a car that is 3,4 years old is considered old and it's time to trade in. you're economically encouraged to trade in your car often with penalties for driving older model cars.

Back