break light...

faridk89

:
02 p5, silver
hey, maybe a week ago i was driving and had to slam the brakes (someone cut me off).. well from then on in, every time i pressed the brake hard and the brake light would come up randomly, then maybe 2-3 days ago the brake light wont go off, checked the brake fluid its full....so just wondering why this sensor would go off...any thoughts?

hey, maybe a week ago i was driving and had to slam the brakes (someone cut me off).. well from then on in, every time i pressed the brake hard and the brake light would come up randomly, then maybe 2-3 days ago the brake light wont go off, checked the brake fluid its full....so just wondering why this sensor would go off...any thoughts?

There is a little nub in between the brake light switch and the pedal. This goes for all cars, not just a Protege. Without it the brake lights will constantly stay on. Sounds like yours is damaged. It's not the fluid or a sensor. If you look on the floor you'll probably find bits of it. Just replace the missing piece and that will solve your problem.

The dealer might not sell you this part. If you have a small clip, that could be pressed into the hole. You need to break the contact from the two.

There is a little nub in between the brake light switch and the pedal. This goes for all cars, not just a Protege. Without it the brake lights will constantly stay on. Sounds like yours is damaged. It's not the fluid or a sensor. If you look on the floor you'll probably find bits of it. Just replace the missing piece and that will solve your problem.

The dealer might not sell you this part. If you have a small clip, that could be pressed into the hole. You need to break the contact from the two.

i will inspect this further thanks man!

Did you check the master cylinder?

Once upon a time I stomped the brakes on an old Accord to avoid hitting a squirrel. (The squirrel was doing his best to get run over, by repeatedly changing the direction he was running - without ever getting out of the path of the car). The furry one came through unscathed but the MC cracked so much that the brakes were completely gone about a minute later. Your MC might have a smaller crack and it is just leaking more slowly.

and my sensor would sense a small crack in my master cylinder....

Possibly, if the crack let it flex more than it should, so that pressing hard on the brake let the reservoir expand slightly, which the sensor might see as a pressure loss. Have somebody pump the brakes while you watch the master cylinder. Not quite sure what you'd be looking for, but it can't hurt to check.

Or maybe the hard braking broke the brake sensor itself?

Which brake light are you referring to OP? Is this a light in the instrument cluster or outside the vehicle? From reading your description I thought you were referring to the brake lights outside the car.

I believe he is referring to the instrument cluster light. The senser detects fluid level. The light is also on when the parking brake is on. If brake fluid is full the the parking brake switch could be bad. Temporarily disconnect the parking brake switch connector to check the switch, if light goes out switch is probabley bad.

Do you have ABS?

Clifton

Last edited:
I believe he is referring to the instrument cluster light. The senser detects fluid level. The light is also on when the parking brake is on. If brake fluid is full the the parking brake switch could be bad. Temporarily disconnect the parking brake switch connector to check the switch, if light goes out switch is probabley bad.

Do you have ABS?

Clifton

After reading the first post again I thought he might be referring to the instrument cluster light. In that case most likely there's a fault somewhere in the braking system or like you said a problem in the parking brake switch.

not sure all i know is i filled up the brake fluid again and the light is off....but i filled it up 2 months ago and im pretty sure its not suppose to get raped like that

not sure all i know is i filled up the brake fluid again and the light is off....but i filled it up 2 months ago and im pretty sure its not suppose to get raped like that

If you filled it up, then the light went out, then it was your sensor. Do you know where the leak is coming from? You should fix that leak as soon as you can.

Check your caliper. If you clean all the fluid away, it will be easier to see where the leak is coming from.

^Don't delay - the fluid eats up the pads.

If you need 'em - i have one set of rear pads (one wheel) new (came with a caliper i bought) make me an offer including shipping.

Back