Brand new

2000VRsex

So I picked up a 02 vivid yellow protege5 back in dec. and decided to join the fourms, quite different than the old fourms i used to go to (vwvortex)...well i must say this is such a downgrade for me but then again im used to driving vw's and audi's...I'll admit tho that this car is really comfortable and provides better than average space for the rear seat passengers...plus ive heard that it has great handling or is that the msp? well either way i love the looks of it has a very sporty look kinda reminds me of a rally car in some way....my only real complaint would be that it doesnt have too much of a solid feel and it lacks power like no other...seems to feel real rubbery for some reason...I have a generous ammount of knowledge about tuning cars but this is my first mazda so why not ask the best right? Alright here u go!! How well of a motor is the fs-de (think thats right)....are their any swaps you can do? not interested in FI....Ive read around a bit and it seems this motor doesnt have much juice period even with FI..and also i dont plan to use this car for any racing or anything of the sort...I just require more power for such tasks as entering the freeway and passing....not used to 4 bangers...Thanks

someone in canada i believe did a klze swap into the car but past that... yeah.

congrats on buying a car with aluminum foil rods and a block made of solid construction paper.

our engines hate high boost on stock internals, and cant take nitrous. where they excel is handling.

if you have the wallet you could always go with an NA setup. forged high comp pistons, rods, headwork, etc etc

if you opt to go the stock msp setup route your lookin at doin high 14s low 15s in the quarter, which is a significant increase of what they do now. i describe it like this because its just to give you an idea of the power increase youll see.

welcome to the forums.

So I picked up a 02 vivid yellow protege5 back in dec. and decided to join the fourms, quite different than the old fourms i used to go to (vwvortex)...well i must say this is such a downgrade for me but then again im used to driving vw's and audi's...I'll admit tho that this car is really comfortable and provides better than average space for the rear seat passengers...plus ive heard that it has great handling or is that the msp? well either way i love the looks of it has a very sporty look kinda reminds me of a rally car in some way....my only real complaint would be that it doesnt have too much of a solid feel and it lacks power like no other...seems to feel real rubbery for some reason...I have a generous amount of knowledge about tuning cars but this is my first mazda so why not ask the best right? Alright here u go!! How well of a motor is the fs-de (think thats right)....are their any swaps you can do? not interested in FI....Ive read around a bit and it seems this motor doesnt have much juice period even with FI..and also i dont plan to use this car for any racing or anything of the sort...I just require more power for such tasks as entering the freeway and passing....not used to 4 bangers...Thanks
Congrats on your color choice (Vivid Yellow FTW!) and welcome to the forums! Everyone here is full of knowledge and very helpful.

The car has awesome handling but lacks in power. It's a comfortable, fun ride with lots of room. I know a lot of the other members will be able to help you with suggestions on getting more horsepower out of it.

The real deal of protege's not to go fast in straight line...but in curves... like highway ramp!!...even if you had 800 hp on tap...if you have mellow suspension and boring steering feeling...you can't take a curve at high speed anyway...

I know... the p5 coudlve had like 30-40 hp more and it would be a blast to drive! (mazdaspeed setup here we go!)

Taking on-ramps at 45mph in second gear is my favorite. Cars already on the highway are surprised when you show up and merge in front of them!

Thanks guy! the fourms here seem great! and I suppose setting it up like a stock msp would work perfectly..anyone know off hand what its mpg is lol...economy is all jacked right now. thanks

congrats on buying a car with aluminum foil rods and a block made of solid construction paper.
I wouldn't say the block is weak - I mean when a cast iron rod goes through the block at 4000 RPM does that mean it's weak?

Anyway, it is, IMO, best to go with an MSP-esque setup to gain any sort of appreciable power with these cars. However, as mentioned above keep the boost at or below 10 psi and don't go heavily into boost in 5th gear and you should be absolutely fine. Some people will recommend a KLZE swap but I consider that to be too much work. Then again, I'm biased :)

isnt the KLZE a 6 cyl? would that fit? and in terms of MPGs the msp set up would be better right? because the last 6 cyl i had i would get like 18 to the gallon

Back