Brand new CX-5 Turbo Vibration at 55-67mph

Dealers cannot be 100% trusted of their works. Not that they try to lie to you, but ... you know.
Just got a new 2022 CX5 Turbo. I asked salesperson to make sure PDI was properly done. She said, YES. She showed me a PDI checklist outlining tire PSIs all at 34PSI. Fine.
On the way home, the car's suspension felt a bit hash. (I have a '17 CX5. I know how it feels).
Back home, I checked the PSIs... 37-38psi on all four.
Great job !!! :rolleyes:

Dealers cannot be 100% trusted of their works. Not that they try to lie to you, but ... you know.
Just got a new 2022 CX5 Turbo. I asked salesperson to make sure PDI was properly done. She said, YES. She showed me a PDI checklist outlining tire PSIs all at 34PSI. Fine.
On the way home, the car's suspension felt a bit hash. (I have a '17 CX5. I know how it feels).
In your case I do believe the dealer did the tire pressure check in PDI. The tech could have released the tire pressure from 45+ psi for transportation to some 35 ~ 38 psi whatever the tech felt like it when tires were cold. If you checked tire pressure right after back home, but not the first thing in the morning when tires were cold, you’d get 37 ~ 38 psi from Mazda’s recommended 35 psi when cold. Besides nothing wrong with 37 ~ 38 psi on tire pressure, as Mazda recommends 36 ~ 42 psi worldwide on CX-5 with 225/55R19 depending on load and speed. I put 39 psi cold on my CX-5 with 225/55R19 since new, and I keep getting even wear on tread for all of these 45K miles.

58C362C3-7673-44F6-A644-ADCB261D2303.png

Last edited:
PSI generally goes up 3-4 lbs after the tires are driven on and they heat up. If the tires hadn't been adjusted during PDI, they would have been 50-55psi from the factory

I have a 2021 CX-5 Turbo. As soon as I picked it up from the dealer, I took it to a very good independent shop and did an alignment. It was off from factory. It is what it is, the dealer is never going to touch my car after purchase, so no point in complaining to them. I also threw away the stock Toyos and bought new quality tires and had them Roadforce balanced on OEM Mazda rims. Absolutely no vibrations at any speed.

I bet that if you invest in a good alignment and quality tires, your issues will go away.

I check tire PSI AFTER the tires cooled off.... so, fair comparison.

Sure. Nothing very wrong about doing 38PSI. When we had the Prius, to max out MPG, we used to run them at 40PSI. It helped. The tires on Prius were LRR (thick side wall). Running higher PSI helps even out wear. Ride was a bit hash, though.

Just trash tires. My Cx5 had the same issue, and my RDX has had it too. I just replaced its tires at 1200 miles. Replacing trash oem tires with quality tires fixes this.

The lighted part of tire (marked by a yellow dot) is supposed to be aligned or close to the valve stem (which is the heaviest part of wheel). If not, it will be harder to balance the wheel/tire combo. Something easy to check.

Red dot marks the tallest point of the tire.

A 3psi rise is normal post drive.

Just a status update. The problem, as I expected, has returned - but to a much lesser degree. It is more noticeable on a cold morning and fades away. Other times it occurs well into a drive. I'm kind of resigned to getting new tires way before these wear out. Been buying cars since 1982 and never had to do that. I believe these are lousy tires, but I also suspect the overall system design has very low tolerance for anything other than very well balanced (well within spec) wheels/tires. I need to find a trustworthy local shop with a Hunter. No Discount Tires in my area. Sounds like the Michelin CC2's may be the way to go.

If it happens only after parking for a long time (over-night), then, it could be flat spotting. You can increase PSI to lessen the impact. Yes, some tires are more subjected to flat spotting.
It usually goes away after tire warms up.

Just a status update. The problem, as I expected, has returned - but to a much lesser degree. It is more noticeable on a cold morning and fades away. Other times it occurs well into a drive. I'm kind of resigned to getting new tires way before these wear out. Been buying cars since 1982 and never had to do that. I believe these are lousy tires, but I also suspect the overall system design has very low tolerance for anything other than very well balanced (well within spec) wheels/tires. I need to find a trustworthy local shop with a Hunter. No Discount Tires in my area. Sounds like the Michelin CC2's may be the way to go.
My A36's did this exact thing. They are just bad tires. CC2's will cure this.

My CX9 GT had similar vibration issues. Turned out to be somewhat of the tire flatspotting at times. Similar issue with my winter tires (x-ice) on different rims...

It ended up being the rear CV shafts after the dealer finally agreed to change it... Much smoother... Seems like Mazda has issues with vibrations in general which sucks because I'm all highway. As a flagship, I'm disappointed. My first and likely last Mazda.

Brought home 2022 CX-9 touring Plus...

I test drove it with 1 miles on it.

When I drove home, I hit the highway immediately I felt vibrations at 60 -70 mph speed ...

Went back to dealership the next day. They tired adjusting tier pressure and balancing, it reduced the vibration for most parts. But I could still feel it a bit, At this point I said I am backing out of the deal, Luckily I hadn't signed the papers yet.

At this point Dealer offered to test drive similar car with captain chair, it was completely fine. But then I walked away from the dealer with my old car. Since those vibrations were fresh in my mind and read few forums on this as well mostly from 2018-2019 time frame..

I didn't want to deal with vibrations in a new car ....

But now after test driving few other brand (Acura MDX, Mercedes GLB, Highlander, etc.,), I am thinking of going back to Mazda and try another cx9 with bench. I really like everything else about the cx-9....

what do you guys think ? Should I stay away from cx-9 for this vibration reason ?

Brought home 2022 CX-9 touring Plus...

I test drove it with 1 miles on it.

When I drove home, I hit the highway immediately I felt vibrations at 60 -70 mph speed ...

Went back to dealership the next day. They tired adjusting tier pressure and balancing, it reduced the vibration for most parts. But I could still feel it a bit, At this point I said I am backing out of the deal, Luckily I hadn't signed the papers yet.

At this point Dealer offered to test drive similar car with captain chair, it was completely fine. But then I walked away from the dealer with my old car. Since those vibrations were fresh in my mind and read few forums on this as well mostly from 2018-2019 time frame..

I didn't want to deal with vibrations in a new car ....

But now after test driving few other brand (Acura MDX, Mercedes GLB, Highlander, etc.,), I am thinking of going back to Mazda and try another cx9 with bench. I really like everything else about the cx-9....

what do you guys think ? Should I stay away from cx-9 for this vibration reason ?

I personally think that there will be minor shortcomings with any car, the concern is whether you can live with those shortcomings. Since you've tried a few other cars and still like the CX-9, I would just try a different CX-9 until you get one that doesn't have the vibration issue. It doesn't seem to be that common of an issue. Some users were even able to get the vibration fixed eventually. I would try a different CX-9 on the lot if possible, for sure.

Wanted to add a data point to this discussion, because in my case, the OEM Toyos are the not the cause of vibration. I bought my '17 GT used, with two newish Toyo A36s, and two that looked to be the original (judging by tread and data code.) I really had no issues with the ride; there was some noise and tire growl, especially from the more worn tires. But no noticeable vibration. It wasn't a plush ride, but it didn't bother me. I had an alignment done anyway after I bought it, figuring the previous owner probably ignored it, which is one way to wear out two tires well before the other two. (The other being to simply not rotate them, letting the drive wheels take most of the wear.)

I replaced the Toyos about a month ago, since I was getting close to the wear bars on two of them. Decided to try the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3, in the 225/55R19. Tire Rack liked them on the Audi SUV they tested, and from their reviews, I was expecting a smooth riding, quiet, well-handling tire that would last well into the 70,000 mile warranty. Purchased and installed at Discount Tire, Hunter road-force balanced.

From the beginning, had a noticeable but slight judder around 40 mph, and a very noticeable and annoying vibration at highway speeds, i.e. 75mph +/-. Took them back and asked them to check the balance. This second time, they assured me they used the "sports car" setting on the Hunter machine this time. I never did get numbers, but I'm assuming the first time the machine was set in the mid 20 lbs. range, and the second time down in the low teens. They said they changed about 3/4 oz. on one of the rear tires.

Ride improved slightly. Could still feel a little bit at low speed, and the vibration was slightly diminished on the highway. Still very noticeable, some in the steering wheel, mostly in the seat. It had a pulsing, cyclic feel, and seemed to get worse with sideways g-force such as in a sweeping curve or when changing lanes. Also, the low-speed vibration seemed to be worse right when I left the house, before everything was warmed up.

In addition - because now I'm tuned in to feeling everything, every time I get behind the wheel - the ride seemed just on the edge of harsh. Every bump, crack, pebble, or expansion joint was transmitted to my hands or seat. That's outstanding in the Miata - I like being able to feel the crosswalk paint - but not so much in the near-luxury grocery hauler. But I would've gotten used to it, absent of the vibration at speed.

Took it back a third time. Explained I'm not too happy, still. Maybe the Scorpions aren't the right tire for such a light, small SUV? They're marketed as a light truck tire as well, so perhaps to get that strength and tread wear, they are too stiff for the CX-5? Dunno, but they balanced them once again - and THIS time, they found the front left needed another 2 oz. The ride was smoother on the trip home, but I never got over 45mph.

Couple days later, I made a 450 mile round trip, pulling a light utility trailer. (A drive I've done multiple times on the old Toyos, under the same conditions.) It was miserable. The vibration was still there, and the trailer made it resonate more strongly. Worst between 72-77 mph (I didn't attempt anything faster) but there even around 62-65 mph. Without the trailer, the vibration is improved over the last balancing attempt, but still there, and not something I want to experience for the next 70,000 miles.

The tires are coming off this morning - I'm still within the 30-day Satisfaction window with Discount Tire - and I'm having the Michelin Cross Climates installed. I always liked Michelin Defenders on my old truck, I'm very happy with the MXM4 run-flats on the wife's BMW, and I'm hoping Michelin's reputation for great ride continues with these.

Considered the Continental LX25s as well, and I know many have been very happy with them on the CX-5. They're not as universally loved across the board in online reviews like the Michelins are, and I'm not sure Discount Tire will let me get away with another 30 day test drive ;). More importantly to me, the LX25 is marketed as a Crossover/SUV tire, while the Michelin is targeted at sedans and coupes as well as SUVs. After the Pirelli, I'm thinking I want something aiming more for sedan-like luxury, rather than truck-like utility.

Why didn't I choose Michelin initially? Good question. Probably because I live in the South and don't really need the additional snow/ice capability they provide; the treadwear warranty is less than the Pirelli, and they cost a little more. And there were nuances in TireRack's testing of these two tires that made the Pirelli seem a better fit for me. But driving is believing.

If these don't do the trick, then there's an issue somewhere else in the suspension that will have to be chased down. Or I'll just have to live with yet another Mazda having resonance-vibration issues (The NA Miata having a long history of "65mph shimmy" that I also experienced but managed to dial out with tire and suspension choices over the years.) I've got a little over 67k miles on the CX-5.

I'll post an update on the Michelins in a few days.

As a bonis, Discount Tire has $110 instant savings on Michelin right now as well 😁
Only if you order online, and not if you're doing a "30 day satisfaction" swap. :( I asked. Still, I got the Michelins for only about $15/tire more than I paid for the Pirellis.

But I should've just gone with the Mich's first. Haven't had them on the highway, yet, but the ride is very smooth up to about 50mph so far.

I see this thread is a little older but glad I found it. I purchased a 2022 CX-5 Turbo (special ordered) in February. It is now at dealer for the fourth time for vibration. I traded a perfectly good CR-V touring for this nightmare. Dealer is about an hour from me. First dealer appointment was at a local Mazda dealer to check it out (200 miles). Dealer verified issues, tried to balance. Didn't work, flat out told me pick it up and bring it back to where I bought it, nice. Brought back to original dealer where we bought. Tires replaced and was told its good to go. Replaced with Toyo, same junk they took off. Got home, took a closer look in better light at tires and rims. Dealer goughed the S out of rims, back to dealer for new rims, unreal (600 miles). Well, its back at original dealer at 2200 miles for original issue. I hate this car, First and last Mazda. Wife loves the car, the look, interior, etc and I'm the one who talked her into trading in CR-V. Good luck to anyone else who is having this problem. I'm currently in touch with Mazda to return car. Mine will be lemon lawed if not fixed this time, done messing with a car I'm paying for and can't drive.

I see this thread is a little older but glad I found it. I purchased a 2022 CX-5 Turbo (special ordered) in February. It is now at dealer for the fourth time for vibration. I traded a perfectly good CR-V touring for this nightmare. Dealer is about an hour from me. First dealer appointment was at a local Mazda dealer to check it out (200 miles). Dealer verified issues, tried to balance. Didn't work, flat out told me pick it up and bring it back to where I bought it, nice. Brought back to original dealer where we bought. Tires replaced and was told its good to go. Replaced with Toyo, same junk they took off. Got home, took a closer look in better light at tires and rims. Dealer goughed the S out of rims, back to dealer for new rims, unreal (600 miles). Well, its back at original dealer at 2200 miles for original issue. I hate this car, First and last Mazda. Wife loves the car, the look, interior, etc and I'm the one who talked her into trading in CR-V. Good luck to anyone else who is having this problem. I'm currently in touch with Mazda to return car. Mine will be lemon lawed if not fixed this time, done messing with a car I'm paying for and can't drive.
Thats crazy and must be so disappointing! I would be going nuts if that happened with my new car. I'm real sensitive to every rattle and vibration when I drive.

Hope it gets worked out but unfortunately if they gave you new tires and it still does it, sounds like something more serious. Unless they did not balance the tires correctly.

You could have an independent tire place rotate and re-balance the tires before you lemon law it.

Back