Brake Upgrade

Chris_uk

:
2007 1.5l Mazda 2 Sport
Hey guys, looking to upgrade my brakes and have come up with 2 choices, EBC green stuff pads with either EBC Turbo Groove Disc (with dimples) or Green Stuff pads with EBC Ultimax Grooved Discs, ive been reading about the Turbo groove and they seem to give off more noise and are more use with racing rather than street, so im thinking the Ultimax Discs.

Links

Ultimax Discs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-ULTIMAX-USR-BRAKE-DISCS-FRONT-MAZDA-2-2007-USR1679-/200894867444?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3A2&hash=item2ec64467f4

Turbo Discs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-TURBO-GROOVE-BRAKE-DISCS-FRONT-MAZDA-2-2007-GD1679-/190798316736?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3A2&hash=item2c6c7744c0

Pads http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-GREEN...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item484bf08939

Chris

The slight noise (if any) from slotted rotors is certainly not a big deal. I think the general concensus with rotors is that under most circumstances they will all perform the same, regardless of cost, dimples, or slots (unless you go bigger, or 2 piece).

I have replaced my stock rotors/pads with Powerslot slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads.
The extra noise from the slotted is barely anything more than stock.
I actually like the noise the new set-up makes, sounds sporty and agressive.
My racing beat exhaust is significantly louder than the noise the slotted rotors make.

I have replaced my stock rotors/pads with Powerslot slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

Can you post a picture of the rotors on your 2 . I was thinking of getting the Powerslots , I want to see what the Ecoat finish looks like with some miles on it . Thanks

Last edited:
IMG-20130224-00146.jpg
IMG-20130224-00147.jpg

Used a blackberry torch camera instead of a point and shoot but should be good enough.

Thanks for pics . The rotors are nice I like the look . I was wondering how long the Ecoat would resist the eventual rust all rotors seem to get .

I use the Ultimax right now along with Greenstuff pads... I will say that I am thrilled with the performance but there are two caveats:

1) The slotted rotors don't seem to have made a lick of difference over a premium solid blank when conditions are normal. They do seem to help when there's heavy rains and water on the wheels. TBH, i'd save the money, and stick with a good solid blank. They do look sexy as hell tho.

2) I love the greenstuff pads. I've had two sets on slotted and solid blanks. They are nice and solid with a good progressive bite and zero fade for aggressive street braking. In emergency stopping they have been 100% solid and reliable. Initial bite is good, progressive bite is excellent. There's no effort involved in locking up the wheels at all!
That said, I'm looking for a slightly more aggressive street/solo-x compound. I might be trying Hawk HPS Plus next.. That said, i've got zero reservations recommending the Greenstuff pads. I love them.

Back