Brake Pads and Rotors (opinions and prices wanted)

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
I've got 50,000 miles on my stock pads and rotors. Its time to replace them before the weather gets too cold.

What are my options?

How much are the factory pads and rotors if I bought them from the dealer? The reason I ask is because I might be able to get a discount through a family member but I want to know the actual price and my other options before I ask.

I am looking to save some money but I don't want to down-grade. Are there aftermarket options that are comparable in price (or cheaper) that offer equivalent performance?

Please post prices and where to buy with your responses. If you are using the setup you are recommending please let me know how they compare to stock (especially with regards to brake dust, noise, and longevity).

I recently changed my brakes. I got the EBC GreenStuff pads from NSN Motorsports (TurfBurn on the forum). They were $140.40 shipped for all 4 corners. I really like them, they're a great improvement over stock, expecially in initial bite. I think they make a very good street pad. They're a LITTLE squeaky in slow braking, but nothing really bad. It's something I'm willing to put up w/ for the added performance (They're really good for auto-x where u generally have cool down periods between runs. Great cold breaking performance). One thing to note, however, is that they are pretty dusty. It doesn't really bother me that much, because I have gunmetal colored rims, so you can't really notice it.

got KVR pads and oem rotors in back, and MSP big-brake drilled/slotted upgrade up front

the KVR pads and blank rotors are my recommendation. good stuff. pretty cheap thru Turfburn.

<sigh>
I'm betting there are hundreds of threads discussing brake pads and rotors. When I changed mine, I decided that better brake pads and fresh fluid would improve performace way more than fancy slotted and/or drilled rotors, and so far I'm very happy. Using Axxis metal masters on the front and generics on the rear - stock rotors all round. Little dust, negligible noise and works great.
I bet local autozones can get generic OEM replacement rotors pretty cheap. Rockauto (online) also carry a good selection of basic rotors and pads.

^^good information but not enough brands in comparison. What about PBR or Mintex.

Turfburn heh? Guess he will have pm.

mrautoparts.com has brembo blanks fer 39.96

Last edited:
Go to the "vendor for sale" forum and look for propartsusa.com's post with prices and parts.
Lots of good stuff at good prices.

you have seen my set-up. wagner pads all around and brembo slotted/cross drilled rotors.......

they seemed to squeek after i put the rotors on. they were fine on the cheap rotors i had on before and felt as good as OEM pads and rotors at a fraction of the cost. pads have lifetime warranty, too.........

-R

ProPartsUSA.com quoted me $240+shipping for the following:

Posi Quiet Front Ceramic $27.00/ea
Posi Quiet Rear Ceramic $27.00/ea
Centric Black E-Coated Front: $68.00 for the Pair
Centric Black E-Coated Rear: $64.00 for the Pair.

How does that sound?

They PM'ed me after seeing this thread but I noticed they are not an authorized vendor.

EDIT: They are actually $27.00/pair so the total would be $186.00. With shipping it comes to $231.

Last edited:
Rear pads and rotors should be a lot cheaper than fronts - they are half the size.
I'd just go to a local part store and get oem replacement rotors and semi-metallic pads for half that price, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Your choice, though.

I also went with PropartsUSA.

Hawk Front HPS Pad: $50.00

Hawk Rear HPS Pad: $48.00
+$15 shipped to my door.

chuyler1 said:

How does that sound?

They PM'ed me after seeing this thread but I noticed they are not an authorized vendor.

27.OO Each Per side?? Those are pads why aren't they a set?

I think that is the best deal I have them on my p5 and men they are great i only have the front pads/rotor and they are quiet and dust free I would definitely recomend them also you should also get new tires if you have not, trust me they won't disapoint you

chuyler1 said:

How does that sound?

Last edited:
i have already bought from proparts it means in per set not each pad 4 pads in front cost 27.00 and so and so

Diehonda said:
27.OO Each Per side?? Those are pads why aren't they a set?

aMaff said:
I recently changed my brakes. I got the EBC GreenStuff pads from NSN Motorsports (TurfBurn on the forum). They were $140.40 shipped for all 4 corners. I really like them, they're a great improvement over stock, expecially in initial bite. I think they make a very good street pad. They're a LITTLE squeaky in slow braking, but nothing really bad. It's something I'm willing to put up w/ for the added performance (They're really good for auto-x where u generally have cool down periods between runs. Great cold breaking performance). One thing to note, however, is that they are pretty dusty. It doesn't really bother me that much, because I have gunmetal colored rims, so you can't really notice it.

Very weird... I run the more aggressive yellow pads and have only light squeeking which is to be expected with race pads... but the dust is pretty low... one of my sponsored guys has the greens and they NEVER squeak on his car and the dust is very low... he has silver rims so it would show...

did you turn or replace your rotors??? That may be the source of the squeaking and possibly the extra dust..

Back