Brake install advice

:
MSP & MS3
I just bought $240 worth of brakes (pads & rotors) and now need to decide how to best install them. I've never installed brakes before but, assuming it's not terribly difficult, can probably do it. So far, I've received 2 prices.. $320 (4 hours worth of labor at the mazda dealership) and $210 (local Midas). Neither of those figures sit well with me... so I may have to install these bastards myself. My question is, do you think I can find a better deal if I keep shopping around? If so, what kind of target should I shoot for? If not, for those who have installed pads and rotors, would you recommend I give it a shot or try and find a sub $200 labor charge.

Give it a shot mazda brake component are well made! Easy job! I did mine 2 times.....
ask in pm if you need advice!
Note that i have a 2001 lx so caliper might not be the same but should be really ez to do anyway!

good luck finding a lower price with pre-purchased parts. most shops will charge you out the ass for not using their crap...do it yourself. its not that bad.

I sort of thought that as well... that's why I worded the question to imply that I'd be buying the pads and rotors from them, then simply subtracted the difference. To charge more, because I have my own parts, would be unethical.

Honestly, I feel brakes are too important for a DIY. I paid $160 for installation at the local Meineke. No problems after a year.

Get some speedbleeders. Makes bleeding the brakes 100x easier (you can do it without another person). Might as well do the SS corksport brake and clutch lines while you are at it.

Who said that DIY causes problems?
Not following directions and being careless causes problems.

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
Who said that DIY causes problems?
Not following directions and being careless causes problems.

(werd)
i did my first brake job 35,000 miles ago(front pads only). the pads are getting worn and need replaced again, but no problems. and it cost me like $35

CHICO2003 said:
I just bought $240 worth of brakes (pads & rotors) and now need to decide how to best install them. I've never installed brakes before but, assuming it's not terribly difficult, can probably do it. So far, I've received 2 prices.. $320 (4 hours worth of labor at the mazda dealership) and $210 (local Midas). Neither of those figures sit well with me... so I may have to install these bastards myself. My question is, do you think I can find a better deal if I keep shopping around? If so, what kind of target should I shoot for? If not, for those who have installed pads and rotors, would you recommend I give it a shot or try and find a sub $200 labor charge.

Seeing how you are supplying the hardware I wouldn't pay more than $150..

I would do it myself, it's too easy to pay someone. A lot shops won't warranty work on parts they don't supply anyways.

Heres a few hard learned tips:
Get some kind of small breaker bar, I busted my knuckles in about 10 different spots trying to remove the caliper bolts on the fronts. I went and got a breaker bar for the rears and it was so much easier. Also, remember to break the bolt loose that keeps the caliper shut BEFORE you remove the caliper. It's damn hard to break it loose while trying to grip it in your hands at the same time.

Get the brake pad spray glue stuff for the backs of the pads & lube the tracks.

If your rear pistons won't easily retract like mine did, I found a weird tool at autozone that looks like a mini rubix cube that attaches to a socket wrench. It makes getting a solid hold on the hourglass looking thing to retract the piston much easier. Mine wouldn't turn with needle nose pliars so I had to buy one. I've never had to use anything other than needle nose pliars before, so yours might be easier.

what pit crew jacked your car up and did most of the work for you? It will take a couple of hours to do the job right. Hell, it takes more than ten minutes for me jack a car up and remove the rims

lmao if only I lived in houston! $20??? damn dude... that just wouldn't sit well with me. I'd have to throw in an extra 5 to make it right!

seriously though, you guys rule. I'm gonna come back here later and read through the how-to on page 1.... then decide if I'm up for it.

thanks again.

yeah if you read the how to and follow that its super easy. i even had my g/f change out my brake pads and only told her things to do when she was getting confused. its that easy.

I will have the joy of doing all 4 wheels next week. I wouldn't even attempt it if I didn't read about it here!!!(rockon)

367 (mp3yellow

Im in the same boat as you my friend putting on new rotors and pads...places wanted to charge me $350...ive done it before but i just wanted to be lazy....you can swap out pads without even taking the caliper off the rotor!!! just unlatch the caliper it falls open pull out clips, pads, put in new done! backs are the only trickier part...but with the how to and about 2-3 hrs of your time youll be sitting pretty! its sooooo easy!

Back