Brake change help

Huascar82

:
2006 Mazda 6 MPS GT
OK, hope someone can help me out cause I'm in a bind. I'm trying to replace my brakes on a speed6 and am having a pain of a time. for some reason the caliper isnt comming off of the brake assembly. I've got both bolts removed and I've done brake changes on 3 other vehicles, all of which thats all I needed to do. Dont know why the caliper wont let go of the brakes. A ind yes I did remove the little springs and am following the instructions on mazda 6 tech but the instructions arent very detailed.

Anyone have any ideas?

The problem is those inboard pads (the ones with the spring clips attached) that fit into the pistons. The pads also fit into the caliper bracket which has some cutouts that make it difficult to get things both off and on. I don't recall exactly how I moved things to get them off, I seem to recall pulling up on the bottom of the caliper while jiggling things around. It is going to take longer than other cars strictly because of the clips inside the piston holding that inside pad in place, but it is doable. It also helped me to turn the wheel in the direction of the side I was working on so I could get a good look at what was going on.

Thanks for the reply Chiefmg. So yeah, the mazda 6 tech thread wasnt really helpful. I pretty much had that info down from previous installs on my 2 previous cars, I guess its helpful for first timers in general.

I was afraid I was forgetting to unscrew or unclip something prior to taking off the caliper, but after a double and triple check (with dirt on my hair now I might add) I applied a little brute force and was able to get them off. I ended up sticking a thick screw driver between the bottom end of the caliper and the disk and using it as leverage to pry the caliper off.

And you're absolutely right chief, that stupid (yet helpful) clip that holds the brake to the caliper is a pain. Anyways, I finally got the first one off and after verifying that my brute force didnt break anything the passenger brake was a breeze.

Now my task for tomorrow is wash and wax and a very deep wheel cleaning. Front wheels look almost a dark gray, hopefuilly I havent done permanent damage to the wheels with all that brake dust caked on.

Back