Bov Faq

The HKS SSQV kit comes with a rubber plug to slip on to the turbo inlet (where the BPV hose connects to the intake).

SU sells them for $10...Ridiculous for a rubber stop. I believe our hose is 1.125"....But please, do not quote me on that. You really need to measure. I had/have an HKS BOV and I had nothing but problems with it...Just listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about. Run it in full recirc. Sell the valve. If your hell bent on buying an aftermarket valve, buy the Forge. Also, your fitment issues are due to the C-clip and mounting. My HKS had no rubbing or anything

A little bit of thread revival haha.

I bought a Forge V2 because my stock valve was leaking. Gained 40km to the top half of my tank with the new valve.

The Forge valve does seem to be a much better product than the HKS, at least for our vehicles running a stock-type tune.

Turbosmart Compact BOV

Hey all,

I've ran my turbosmart compact bov in 50/50 and full recirc. and I am still having issues with afterfires. I did not have any afterfires with my forge BPV ver. 1. Has anyone encountered this issue or have a fix for it? Go back to my forge?

Thanks for any advice,

-James

If you are running it in full recirc and still backfiring, then the valve must not have the proper spring tension for the amount of boost you are running

That would be my guess assuming all plumbing connections are tight.

BPV/BOV Causing afterfires?

Hey guys, I wanted to post a follow up about my afterfires i seemed to get after installing my Turbosmart BOV.

I tried all sorts of spring tensions with the recirculation plug in and with it out. Still get the afterfires when i shift through gears 1-3. I went back to my Forge BPV thinking my turbosmart may have been leaking, but even still, the afterfires continued. My next step is trying the stock BPV since its still good, but im pretty much confident it is the lack of back pressure on my engine due to the HKS HiFlow exhause and cobb downpipe I recently installed. Can anyone confirm this or have suggestions for a fix? or just deal with it!

By the way, when i shift and keep my foot on the throttle a little, say 10%, no problems with afterfires.

-Something to think about!

-Thanks, James!

OOOOHHHH!!

You didnt' mention that you had just installed an exhaust. Backfires are normal on this car with an exhaust. I get them periodically.

That comes with having either a hi-flow cat (versus the stock 2 cats) or no cat and a car that runs pig rich.

+1 on it not being the BPV but rather the downpipe and high flow exhaust, expecially if catless, but even with high flow cat, as the cause of the occasional afterfire from unburned fuel from our pig rich AFR's.

BTW: Since making the exhaust mod you might want to put the stock BPV back on and play with it a bit. I think you will really like how much smoother it functions, and that you will find that it holds boost as well as or better than the aftermarket ones.

And guess what? It fits, does not require any special hoses or plugs, does not require adjustment, springs, shims, is not subject to temperature and seasonal changes (it's thermoplastic for a reason) . . . and it works very well with high flow intake and exhaust systems.

I just installed the PG turbo inlet and it seems as if my turbosmart bov is making a fluttering noise when I release the throttle at 3-5k rpm. I run it in vta/recirc mode, should I put it in recirc only? Thanks in advance!

On this car, you would ideally run full recirc.

If you can hear your valve fluttering, chances are it has been the whole time and the turbo inlet just let you hear it.

If your valve is fluttering, you likely need to adjust your spring tension.

I have 2 suggestions for you : 1) Put your stock BPV back on..problem solved or : 2) Buy a Forge..These cars seem to only work really well with either the stock valve or the Forge (plus the Forge looks stock)

ok so far what i have got from this post is the best set up to get both the sound and not hurt the turbo / throw a code is to run a hyrbid???? 50/50 recric and vta????? i just bought a 2008 mazdaspeed3 30k miles bone stock a week ago to replace my 2002 protege5... im new to the turbo world to be honest never really payed attention to them...am i correct here as i have a 100k mile warranty and cannot change my intake will a hybrid bolt up with the stock air box and is this the best option to resolve the stock one leaking anf gain a little better sound..??? which one do u recommend that will work with my stock air box plz help me

Forgive the late reply.

1. The stock BPV does not leak. Rarely, but no more so than any aftermarket product, it can leak, but unless you have a boost gauge and are datalogging, you can't tell. Most claimed "leaking" stock BPV's are just BS from guys that want to spend money on something that will not work as well but satisfies their need to impress their friends. Believe me, if I could make my stock valve leak with my mods, I'd replace it. It will hold way better than the stock turbo can produce in boost and is way smoother in operation than anything out there. In side-by-side comparison with the Forge bpv, both running full recirc (as you should), the stock valve held almost 2 psi higher boost in third gear and higher. That was published in Grassroots Motorsport Magazine.

2. You really do need to run full recirc. This is a MAF sensor controlled engine. By the time the air gets to the BPV or BOV is has already been measured for mass by the sensor and the ECU has been told how much fuel to send to the injectors to match that measured air. If you then fart the air to atmosphere, ANY of it, you are making the engine run richer than it should and are contributing to a less than optimal burn mixture.

3. Ditch the stock air box. It is highly restrictive and is costing you about 20 whp. That is the power mod you want to make not an armpit fart ricer sound mod. Any good aftermarket intake either SRI or CAI will really wake up this engine. And you will find that the stock BPV will be very noticable in its release sound with an aftermarket intake. If you have a warranty and want to keep it, consider the OEM intake upgrage from Mazda, the Mazdaspeed CAI. That's what I run. And believe me, the stock BVP will make a very noticable release sound back into the intake as it should and your car will run much quicker and very smoothly.

Lol, the OP was banned

Just wanted to post up some of my research.

Apparently the TURBO-XS RFL will not hold boost as well as another design.

Apparently most of the HKZ and Greddy units are leak free until they are taxed hard.

Apparently the Tial 50mm (The New Q) is leakless up to over 35 PSI...

Thanks Tips.. I wasn't doing anything with your post... If I was I would have Quoted you.

Back