Bouncing Idle?

bradboyd80

:
'12 Velocity Red MS3
Ok, first off, I searched and can't find anything related to a bouncing idle (plenty on low idle tho). To get it out of the way, the mods are in my sig, and as you can tell, no real mods other than a forge bpv and exhaust.

So this morning I was driving to work. Well once the car warmed up, when I would stop at a light or whatever, the idle would drop to the point where it would almost stall (the car actually stuttered like it was about to stall), then jump back up to normal, almost stall again, and then settle back at normal as if there is no problem. WTF? I've cleaned the maf and egr already, so could they be going bad? I've also pretty much triple checked all my vacuum hoses, and my gauge seems to be fine (reading about 17 at cold start and 20 after it warms up). I plan to take out the egr this weekend and take a look to see if there's a problem (heard it can get stuck open or something?). Any other advice on what to look for, or try?

Thanks!

it sounds like the egr, but then there are so many issues that can effect your idle...how is it running otherwise?

It stutters a bit, but I figured it was fuel cut. Even in warm weather, I can't give it more than 50% throttle or it hits fuel cut (at least that's my uneducated guess). But I've been driving very sensibly because of that. So I guess to answer that, driving the same as I have been, its running fine otherwise.

I just had the same problem today and i'm all stock, but i have no power loss or anything just once in awhile it will almost die and then kick back up again!

I thought my egr valve needed a good cleaning but turns out it was stuck open just bought a new one everythings fine. then got boost cut and boughts me an atp WGA and everythin is great again.

Well tomorrow I'm going to pull out the EGR and take a look. If its stuck open, do you HAVE to replace it? Or is there a way to get it un-stuck? LOL. On a side note, my car just passed 81k, so I'm sure its getting to that point where everything needs replaced (timing belt, water pump, WGA going bad I think, turbo dying, etc.....). Need a new DD so I can park it for a while. Anybody know what else I can look at, aside from the EGR?

I haven't had time to pull things apart, but I've got a nasty oil buildup on the turbo. Once I get more time (and another car so I can park this one), then I'll start tearing things apart to see what's going on.

Well I may have to do that then. I just finished cleaning the EGR (which was fine btw, not stuck open). And decided to do another vacuum check. Low and behold, my wga is leaking a little. I blew through the line to it, and its not like a "brick wall". Its not terrible, but the fact that even a little bit of air got through scares me. Guess its time for an ATP.....

before i had my msp i had a 1999 honda civic si and it was having the same problems but i checked my spark plugs and they needed to be changed badly so i put my new ones in and it solved the bouncing idle. it could be different for mazda's but i figured every bit of input could help.

I actually think it may have been the EGR. I cleaned it up a bit, and it hasn't been doing it ever since. I'm sure its not the spark plugs because I just changed them about a month ago. Hopefully nothing else happens because I'm putting it up for sale here soon.

Back