Bought a used motor..

L0w_N_sl0w

:
Mazda,Protege5
I got my used engine today from a company I will not name. I noticed some numbers on the valve cover after receiving the pallet. The numbers above each cylinder read 110,110,120&120. I assumed they were talking about the compression on each cylinder so I called the company I bought the engine from. I asked them for them to confirm the compression on the engine I purchased. They told me the engine had compression ranging from 110-120. Wth?? I understand the minimum being 100 but 110 is s***.. Luckily they are returning the engine free of charge and I will be getting 100% refund. I'm not going to bash the company because they were willing to work with me. My advice for anyone buying a used engine, don't expect much. Save your money do it right the first time. I am officially rebuilding my motor because i realized it's not worth buying a junk yard motor.

I'm done venting, that is all.

Every compression tester is different, just because it reads 100psi on one gauge does not mean the rings are shot. You are more looking for consistency among the cylinders.

I'm not going to put $750 in parts on the motor to find out that the rings are bad. I understand you want consistenancy in the numbers but regardless of the compression tester the numbers are to low for my liking.

I know it was tested cold because the guy on the phone said it was never started. Still I have to base my descion based off the testing they have vs. making an assumption. To much money involved.

The compression rings may have normal wear and test OK. The oil rings may be seized and they weren't tested. Most people junk their cars when they smoke too bad.

Latest posts

Back