Bought a GT2554r, got a GT2560r - can I run it?

Matrix

:
Silver MSP
Hey everyone

It's been a while since I've posted, but I could really use some help. A board member was parting out an MSP and I bought the turbo, thinking it was a stock GT2554r turbo. As it turns out it, it appears to be a GT2560r. I'm not 100% sure that's what it is, though. It has a compressor A/R of .60 and a turbine A/R of .64 and the only turbo that comes up with those specs is the GT2560R. The compressor housing is a bit larger than the one on my stock GT2554r.

Anyway, if it is a GT2560r (which is most likely the case), can I run it on a flashed MSP ECU (the dealer reflash, done back in 2004)? Or do I need new engine management? I was running 9 - 9.5psi on my stocker beautifully and the car ran very well until the stock turbo blew its oil seals.

This unit is aligned perfectly and the flange seems to mate up to my exhaust manifold just fine. It came with a wastegate actuator, but I don't know what it's set at.

Should I get a 6psi wastegate actuator and try to run it? Will I definitely need new engine management?
Or should I sell it and pick up a stocker and go back to running at 9.5psi (where I was perfectly happy)?

Thanks for all input!

Last edited:
Assuming you have a wide band run it on 7-8 psi and see how the afrs are, the 2560 isn't a lot bigger but it will flow more air. But at the same time that air will be cooler which will be easier on the motor

No, I don't have a wideband. Man, swapping turbos is a pain. I would hate to do this then find out it's not a good idea and then do it all over again. I was hoping to hear about someone who has done this already so I will know if it works. If somebody has experience running this on a stock (reflashed) ECU, then I'll buy a wideband O2 sensor and gauge and give it a shot. I don't have time/money to experiment if no one has tried this before.

I would run the new turbo with the stock wastegate. I can't imagine that turbo at 6-7 psi out doing the stock tune.

I would run the new turbo with the stock wastegate. I can't imagine that turbo at 6-7 psi out doing the stock tune.

I don't know, man. Sounds risky. I don't have a wideband O2 sensor and would have to invest in one. My MSP has 170k miles on it, so we're not talking about brand new internals. Money is tight and I just don't have the funds to take care of repairs if something breaks. If I had the cash, I'd say screw it and go ahead with running this turbo with a ssafc loaded with the proper maps. I just don't have the ~$300 to pick up a ssafc.

Not having money sucks. :(

Actually, after matching the serial numbers the turbo turned out to be a GT2860RS (GT28RS) "Disco Potato".

God help me, I think I'm going to run the GT28RS on a 6psi wga.

If I do, I'll just drive carefully and take it easy until I can afford to pick up a SSAFC. Let's see how this goes...

Any thoughts?

hey Im talking about the gas pedal. Id doit but I feel the car when i drive, i can feel when she is pulling time to save itself so i back away. Just be smart when you drive.

hey Im talking about the gas pedal. Id doit but I feel the car when i drive, i can feel when she is pulling time to save itself so i back away. Just be smart when you drive.

Yeah, I hear ya man. I'll be sure to take it real easy and avoid pushing too hard. I hope I can afford a SSAFC and a wideband O2 sensor soon, because I want to see what the car can do with the upgraded turbo and the right maps. I'll be putting her back together this weekend.

Hey everyone, I was thinking - Isn't the boost pressure in the manifold at 9psi the same whether the stock turbo is being used or a GT28RS? In other words, 9psi in the manifold is the same volume of air regardless of the turbo doing the forced induction, isn't it?

Now, I've been running 9.5psi on my stock turbo for over 4 years now. Totally safe, never had so much as a single ping or issue. Now that my stocker has blown its seals, I got this GT28RS. Wouldn't 9.5psi using the GT28RS be no different that if I used a GT2554r? Since the wga hose is connected to the intake manifold, the boost in the manifold doesn't represent any different volume of air whether it's a GT28RS or a stock unit. So wouldn't the wga open the wastegate flap as soon as 9.5psi is reached regardless? The only difference would be that the GT28RS would reach 9.5psi in the intake manifold sooner.

As you might have guessed, I am debating whether I should run the GT28RS at 9.5 psi or at 6 psi. I have 2 different wga's - one that is set to 9.5psi max, the other is a 6psi wga.
Help me!

it is not the same, the bigger turbo allows much more air to pass through at the same level of psi, so you will run a high risk of blowing your engine at that PSI on non-forged internals

youll feel probably the same power at 6 psi that you did with 9 psi on old turbo. im pretty sure there was a member on here that was on 4 psi and he had roughly 190 whp

I absolutely cannot wait. I'll post an update soon. I'll be putting her back together beginning this Monday. I have one water line issue to resolve, but that's all that's standing in the way of disco potato goodness.

Back