Bought a 02 Protege5. Struts busted?

buliwyf

:
2002 Mazda Protege5, 2014 Mazda3 sedan
Hey guys, I just bought a '02 Progete5 last week, with 143,000 Km on it. It runs OK and I use it for work commute.

The ride is VERY stiff. Feels like a race car with coilovers. I tried doing the "bounce strut test" but I CANNOT push the car down on all 4 wheels. I know I'm just 140 lbs, but I can do a bounce test just fine on my Corolla. I wonder if ALL my struts need replacement, or is this NORMAL for a Protege5?

Also, it seems that bushings are busted. It's really noisy when on bumpy roads (I'm rarely on bumpy roads during my daily commute though).

Hey guys, I just bought a '02 Progete5 last week, with 143,000 Km on it. It runs OK and I use it for work commute.

The ride is VERY stiff. Feels like a race car with coilovers. I tried doing the "bounce strut test" but I CANNOT push the car down on all 4 wheels. I know I'm just 140 lbs, but I can do a bounce test just fine on my Corolla. I wonder if ALL my struts need replacement, or is this NORMAL for a Protege5?

Also, it seems that bushings are busted. It's really noisy when on bumpy roads (I'm rarely on bumpy roads during my daily commute though).

Did you test drive the car before you bought it?
Take off the front and/or rear wheel and take a photo of the strut/spring assemly. Post it here. I would be curious to see what is there.

Yes I did test drive it, but I bought it in a dealer in the middle of nowhere and the roads around were all paved nicely.

Are Protege5's "sport-tuned" to start with? Maybe I'm just used to my '00 Corolla with a more "family-oriented" suspension?

I'll try to take photos with the wheels off.

Mazda's ride rough,... (I've had a GLC, 626 and this car). I personally like it (maybe because that's just what I'm used to). I think the other cars I've driven ride like mush.

All P5's come "sport suspension"

I just went out to bounce my car,... It doesn't

This is how you bounce them.

3055330396_796c82f744_b_zpsf04e1890.jpg

So either get used to it,... sell it,.. or do like the rest of us here and ******* love it.

You don't 'bounce test' struts (only works for shocks).

We have 4 struts.

Pix of the car would help us - we could see if you are lowered or not...

Thanks for confirming that you cannot "bounce" it with your own weight either.

Here is a photo of the car. I don't know if it's dropped, it seems stock looking:
adVOsZj.jpg

yNcFrWS.jpg

Perhaps I can concentrate on repairing the suspension noise now (bushings?).

1. I have some clunking noise in front when on bumpy roads. Not as loud as when my Corolla had busted CA bushings, and no "reeking" sound, but I can "feel" the clunk on the steering wheel. Any usual suspect?

2. Rear wheel Passenger side. Significant clunking noise on bumps. Sounds like a bushing is non-existent! Any usual suspect?

3. There is a stupid rattle at low-rpm's in the Header / header heat-shield area. Usual suspect?

4. Air intake hose (after the MAF / into the throttle body) is craked. Previous owner tried to use black electric tape. Dorman 696-601 any good? Or am I better off just using some pipe with clamps in between? What size of pipe, if ever?

I had a '96 SR20 Nissan Altima (JDM Bluebird) with H&R lowering springs (2" drop) & KYB Gas-filled. Suspension felt similar. I guess I'm surprised the Protege5 is stiff like this, stock!

Last edited:
Yea,... that's stock height.

Where the hell did you find a P5 in Toronto that looks that rust free,...

I want a peek under her dress,...

Post a pick from underneath if you can at some point,... Now you need to learn the P5 rust prevention process,..

Here's my girl and Maple tree,..

0df70fce-2932-4f77-8e5c-44a146457670_zps2270844b.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps I can concentrate on repairing the suspension noise now (bushings?).

1. I have some clunking noise in front when on bumpy roads. Not as loud as when my Corolla had busted CA bushings, and no "reeking" sound, but I can "feel" the clunk on the steering wheel. Any usual suspect?

2. Rear wheel Passenger side. Significant clunking noise on bumps. Sounds like a bushing is non-existent! Any usual suspect?

3. There is a stupid rattle at low-rpm's in the Header / header heat-shield area. Usual suspect?

4. Air intake hose (after the MAF / into the throttle body) is craked. Previous owner tried to use black electric tape. Dorman 696-601 any good? Or am I better off just using some pipe with clamps in between? What size of pipe, if ever?

I had a '96 SR20 Nissan Altima (JDM Bluebird) with H&R lowering springs (2" drop) & KYB Gas-filled. Suspension felt similar. I guess I'm surprised the Protege5 is stiff like this, stock!

Check your sway bar bushings and end links, maybe even ball joints. The rattle is probably the heat shield around the final cat.

I just recently replaced my intake tube,... $24 from RockAuto

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123828382-Check-Your-Intake-Tube-!!!

If the suspension feels really stiff the struts may be new. When I bought my car, the struts were so gone that I was getting motion sickness due to the underdamping of the suspension. Doing the "bounce test" on the car also showed visible exaggerated oscillation. After replacing them, they're so stiff that I feel every single bump now.

Thank you for the replies.

I duct taped the air intake pipe in the meantime. I feel bad comparing how cheap you can buy parts in the USA compared to here in Canada. Just $24 for that air intake pipe from RockAuto, shipped to Canada it's about $50-ish, with Canada taxes on top. Not to mention availability of other parts!

Back