Bose Sub

How's the Bose sound system sound in the car? I'm picking my GT up in a few days...curious about the sound...

sounds ok. I added a alpine type-r and turned the stocker off and love the sound. The stock sub is 6" i think. its just to small.

i got a sub amp and fiberglass box, with a discount from work, but it was still pricey. The stock sound system is ok. but everyone will tell you, once you add a sub it really bumps up the sound system

In response to Kaidao:

First... let me qualify everything I say with... my hearing is not what you might call 'optimal' -- I've lost some significant hearing in the higher frequencies. That said, my previous car, an '03 SE-R SpecV with the Audio package, had a hell of a lot more 'umph' to the Bass than the MS3's Bose which initially was very disappointing to me since it was a 'Bose' system. My wife's '07 RAV4 Base model has a ton more bass... but admittedly it's extremely distorted.

A friend of mine was recently visiting and obviously agreed that my MS3's Bose system lacks the low end bass my SpecV had, but noted that the SpecV wasn't as clear and the MS3's Bose system definitely wins overall versus my old system.

I've read a lot of forum posts of people complaining about the Bose system -- overall, I am happy with the system but I admittedly do NOT have the finely tuned ears and hearing that others may have.

Last edited:
While we're speaking of the sub on the MS3, how hard is it to remove that plastic cover and retrieve all the change I've dropped in there? :)

at first i didn't even think that there was a sub, till i read the sticker from my car again. it's there, Bose should have just never made a car speaker system. they should have stock with the home system.

The stock sub is really held back by the stock head unit. I have a MP3 player and I turned up the bass all the way on that....along with the bass on the head unit all the way up...and it sounds SO much better and hits alot harder.

I knew a 220 watt sub should sound better then it did from the factory, but like I said the stock head unit is really holding the sub back.

I still think its a good system to come straight from the factory.

Honestly I don't think it is the HU itself holding back the sub because in the bose system the HU doesn't amplify the signals coming out of it at all. Probably more the amp powering the sub holding it back. They probably should have more coming from the amp to the sub.

Well in response to everyones post about the Bose sound system i feel that it hits just fine. I dont think that i would ever get a new sub in there because of hearing so many stories of bolts coming loose with a new sub in it. So to people who want to get new subs i would say just to check out other people who have had different subs for awhile now.

I put a 10" Solo 5 Kicker sub driven by a nice kicker amp (both from previous car) connected to the stock system and now it's 300% better. Installed with a nice Gain control mounted to the left of the driver seat. Simply velcro'd the gain dial control to the carpet and she holds tight.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Back