bosch plugs

some ppl said that they felt gain from iridium plugs

I didn't "feel" any power gains from the NGK Iridiums but I got a ~2mpg increase in my mileage. (I have to check the second tankful to verify this..but I was impressed with the mileage increase)

FlyinMSP said:
I have used the Bosh Platinum +2 on my MSP without any problems. But I'm using Denso now

Yeah Im running Denso too, and never felt better, with the Nology plugs the revs are very smooth, idle is extreamly stable, the needle just points at 500rpm without budging in the slightest, and goes right to 750rpm when you turn the wheel to kick in the power steering.

Denso's are a bit expensive but MUCH cheaper on E-bay.

Rac3rX said:
Yeah Im running Denso too, and never felt better, with the Nology plugs the revs are very smooth, idle is extreamly stable, the needle just points at 500rpm without budging in the slightest, and goes right to 750rpm when you turn the wheel to kick in the power steering.

Denso's are a bit expensive but MUCH cheaper on E-bay.

Denso and Nology wires, and this is good?

Why is everybody saying NK?

NGK V Power OEM work best. I tried them all. NGK is what came with it, and after burnign through a few sets of expensive ones, back to the cheap reliable ones.

It's true that you can't go wrong with stock plugs as the engine was tuned with them. The Densos I'm using give me very similar performance as the platinium NGK R the car came with (but it idles a bit smoother)

Hmm I just installed the Bosch platinum +2 that don't need to be gapped. Seems to be running really smooth.

See I have the quad bosch plugs and the car runs great had them for years now. just do not understand why people say there bad for the car?

They're not bad, but they don't really offer any advantages in a stock engine.

I had the same plugs, and after 10K miles, my car began running like crap. Switched to an OEM set, all good after that.

I just purchased the Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs for my P5. I havent installed them yet, but should be doing so in the next day or so, along with an oil change and a EGR valve cleaning. I'll let you know what happens.

Some have had trouble, but I never did. 40K miles on Plat +2 and they were almost like new when I pulled them. Never a moment of trouble with autox and daily aggressive driving. I posted a pic here some time back if you want to search for it. But I have a stock engine so it's foolish to spend more than the $1.65 each for the NGK V-grooves, which is what I use now.

cop1976 said:
I just purchased the Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs for my P5. I havent installed them yet, but should be doing so in the next day or so, along with an oil change and a EGR valve cleaning. I'll let you know what happens.

EGR not to sound stuiped but what has to be done with it?

ZG77_OzZ said:
EGR not to sound stuiped but what has to be done with it?
My vehicle was sputtering when I came to a stop almost to the point of stalling and the RPM's would just drop. It is apparently a common problem in the Protege 5. In the "How To" section there is a a step by step guide on how to clean the EGR valve. It builds up with carbon due to our rich fuel burning and can gum up the valve. I just removed mine today and cleaned it up with throttle body cleaner and greased the valve and spring and the problem is solved! Tomorrow I am replacing the plugs and doing an oil change (switching to Synthetic).

Ummm, still wondering what oil/gas people are running to get EGRs to clog. I got an extra one on a manifold I got to eliminate VTCS & it was OK but cleaned it a little anyway. At 50k or so I pulled mine off to check it out (idle was OK) after all the threads about them & it was no more clogged than the one I had cleaned. I run castrol syntech oil, keep the K&N clean, use shell reg gas (10% ethanol mix)almost always, a shot of acetone every now & then & not to be threadjacking.....long reach ngk plugs (ZFRs) = No carbonfest. Are people running their s*** at 4-6000 rpms all the time to accomplish this or what? Don't get me wrong, I visit there on occasion but my car lives mostly in the 2.5-3.5k range.

RaiderMP5 said:
NGK V Power OEM work best. I tried them all. NGK is what came with it, and after burnign through a few sets of expensive ones, back to the cheap reliable ones.

In the manual (Page 10-4 of mine) In the "Specifications" section Mazda gives the k20pr-u11 plug from Denso as one of its specifications (maybe not sold with them in the car, but MAZDA seems to think they are good enough to go in the manual as a specification), the Plugs I have in my car are Denso's iridium version ( the IK20 ) "Stock" I find is good for "Stock", once you alter the system "Stock" is out the window.

To each his own, I havnt burnt out my any wires or had any issues at all with the plugs and wires I have now, as well as MANY other running the same set up. If some people have had issues that may be something else completly....

Coupled with the Nology wires (No sot Stock Spec and are a COP conversion (shocked) ) After a year of having them in together and running a few consecutive 15.9 1/4 mile runs (With the only mods other then the plugs and wires being CAI, 4-1 headers, & an axle back. Those mods alone without the plugs and wires usually put people in the mid to low 16's. keeping in mind my 15.9's were on a un-prepped track, my car should run mid 15's as is on a prepped one) Im confident when I say there is little to no noticeable difference other then smoother revs, that is untill you look at the time slip. Keeping in mind (if your familiar with bringing cars down the track) a .2 or .5 diff on a 1/4 mile dont feel too different, however the E/T speaks for itself.

I know the Nology wires are a tad expensive, but......

ZG77_OzZ said:
nology what is so good about there system?

Stronger spark

Last edited:
i12drivemyMP5 said:
Ummm, still wondering what oil/gas people are running to get EGRs to clog. I got an extra one on a manifold I got to eliminate VTCS & it was OK but cleaned it a little anyway. At 50k or so I pulled mine off to check it out (idle was OK) after all the threads about them & it was no more clogged than the one I had cleaned. I run castrol syntech oil, keep the K&N clean, use shell reg gas (10% ethanol mix)almost always, a shot of acetone every now & then & not to be threadjacking.....long reach ngk plugs (ZFRs) = No carbonfest. Are people running their s*** at 4-6000 rpms all the time to accomplish this or what? Don't get me wrong, I visit there on occasion but my car lives mostly in the 2.5-3.5k range.

That issue has NOTHING to do with the EGR. How do I know? I have my EGR CAPPED off completly (shocked) with a plumbers cap directly at the output of the header, and every now and then (Not too often) I get the rev strugle almost dye then catch right before death (all the issues people have expressed related to this issue, but have still had them after cleaning out the EGR (shocked) ) its something else, Im still not sure as to what.

How often do they get clogged? Never if you cap em off...... lol. They tend to get clogged up arround 30k (but it varies, could be due to location, driving habits, ect ect...

Last edited:
Back