Boring a FS-DE block

drexer13

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I'm thinking about building a performance NA engine for my P5 and am wonder if anyone knows how far the FS-DE block can be bored. Does anyone have and experience with this?

On a side note it would also be handy if someone knew the head volume in cc's

Thanks,

Last edited:
There's generally 2 steps you can bore a FS engine block.

Don't remember exactly the numbers but I think it's 0.020" and 0.040".

But with a 0.040" oversize it's recommended to use a low temp thermostat or else the engine is tempted to overheat.

Im looking for 180 to 200, which I think is very achievable.

One person made 198 with high compression custom cams and stand alone

With out spending way more money than it would cost to boost it. You might see 150-170

One person made 198 with high compression custom cams and stand alone

With out spending way more money than it would cost to boost it. You might see 150-170

Was that 198 at the wheels or at the crank?
I was figuring 180 to 200 at the crank.

I was referring to wheel horse power

You can easily boost and tune it for around $1500 and make 200whp on a stock motor. They're a waste of time and money for na

N/A worth it on engines that have any kind of variable valve timing (V-TEC, MIVEC, VVTi, etc) But on engines that have solid cams like ours...... you're gonna spend too much money to have a few more horses!

Ive spent about 2.2k USD to build more or less race engine that will do 190-200 whp with E85.

150whp is pretty easily achievable. Try pming jimmysuite he may sell you his engine package which does 147whp with a conservative tune (should get 155ish IMO). With better header you'd prolly be able to extract more :)

You can safely bore .040, especially on an NA setup. NA setups do not experience the same cylinder pressures as it's boosted counterparts. By going .040 over you help un-shroud the valves. If you are trying for a beast NA setup, good luck. It can be done and with the right amount of money. I'm working on my second motor now. First was a forged 2.0L on 17psi as my daily. Drove it for 7 years. Current build is a forged 2.3L boosted FS-DE stroker. :)

Ive spent about 2.2k USD to build more or less race engine that will do 190-200 whp with E85.

150whp is pretty easily achievable. Try pming jimmysuite he may sell you his engine package which does 147whp with a conservative tune (should get 155ish IMO). With better header you'd prolly be able to extract more :)

Any info on these motors? I'm curious as to what was done for that much power

Any info on these motors? I'm curious as to what was done for that much power

I would speculate ; compression, mild head porting, intake and exhaust. Nothing fancy.
Baseline idea would be something like 10:1 Compression, Ported 626 intake manifold, Ported head with an over-sized valve, Header, Cold Air intake and an ECU flash/MP3 ECU.

From dyno sheets and build threads I've seen those mods are putting people in the 160-170 area. It would take more than an mp3 ecu and definitely cams. Stock cams are useless for high rpms

FS-ZE pistons, some headwork, Microtech, Crappy Header (only flaw IMO), 626 IM, UDP, Twiggies.

As i said with a better tune you should hit 150-160 :)

I meant what are you using for the race engines to get 200 whp. Plus twiggys are hard to come by, I've seen one set for sale since I've been a member here

Back